Topic Options
#60811 - 12/29/02 06:59 PM How much room do quail need?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just hatched out 13 cornux quail a week and a half ago and they are already getting huge. One will probably not make it (it was the one with the splayed legs). How much room do I need to house the 12 quail that will survive? I'm in the process of making wire cages so I figured I'd get theirs ready but have no clue how big to make it. Will a 2 X 2 be too small for 12 quail? We have these quail for eggs and meat altho this first batch will be parents for our meat this year so I want them comfy so they lay alot smile Thanks for any help. Anise

#60812 - 12/30/02 05:17 AM Re: How much room do quail need?
Tiny Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
HI
2'x2' is good or up to 4 quail, Coturnix qauil and hatch all year long if the area they are kept is warm and they have add light.

#60813 - 12/30/02 08:41 AM Re: How much room do quail need?
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Coturnix need less room than other quail, but I'd give them as much as you can manage. It is just nicer for the birds. With adequate feeders and waterers you could put 15 Coturnix in a 2 ft X 2 ft cage. You need about 36 square inches for each bird (this is only a 6 inch square area). So a pair can be accomodated in a cage of around 6 inches by 12 inches. You need more than twice that area for a pair of bobwhites, and bobwhites do not do as well in colony cages. Coturnix are flock birds and seem to be more amenable to crowded conditions. The small 36 square inches per bird is for wire bottom cages. You need a lot more room in a solid bottom cage or you will be cleaning it nearly every day.

Coturnix also have a "scalping" problem. They tend to jump up and hit their heads on the top of the cage. They solve this problem by making the cages low (only around 8 inches high), but if you have room you don't have this problem in an aviary setting where the birds can fly a distance before they hit the wire. Some birds will still beat themselves up in the low ceiling cages.

I tried to tie a foam pad to the top of the cage, but the quail just chewed it up in short order. Some of the new firmer plastic packing material would probably last longer in the low ceilinged cages.

#60814 - 12/31/02 11:32 AM Re: How much room do quail need?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you both. Now Rokimoto, one more question about cage hight. Right now I have a cage made out of hardware cloth that is 2 feet tall, 2 feet wide and 4 feet long. I realize this will be more than enough room for 12 quail now, but will they jump 2 feet high and still bang their heads? I'm wondering now if I should either build another cage with a lower top or else lower this one. Or do you think I can get by with this one the way it is? Thanks again for all your help. Anise

#60815 - 12/31/02 05:02 PM Re: How much room do quail need?
R. Okimoto Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
They will still bang their heads in the 2 ft high cage. You can probably put a foam pad on the top of a 2 ft cage and they will not be able to peck it apart like they could in the 8 inch high cage that I had. A lower cage doesn't keep them from scalping themselves it just keeps some of them from trying to jump. If they are going to jump the lower cage is probably worse than the two feet high cage.

#60816 - 01/17/03 07:40 PM Re: How much room do quail need?
Anonymous
Unregistered

experience- 2 ft is plenty for a good flapping start. quiail raisers have low ceilings fora reason. you HAVE to pad it or experience a bird scalped from bill to base of neck.
coturnix can go 2 and half ft up when wing clipped. these are small birds so meat birds- never raiseed them but full grown are lazier.
by the way, wild brown color birds are wild, the whites are tame as kittens, and th ecross is inbetween- best eexample of albinism as a functional mechanism in domestication

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2