Topic Options
#60868 - 10/22/02 11:02 PM Jap. quail with flesh wounds
Anonymous
Unregistered

This morning I noticed that one of my jap. quail had a bald patch in her head, on closer examination, I noticed that she had 2 deep flesh wounds on her neck (one largish, and the other smallish). First I thought that the neighbours cat might have got at it through the wire, but the wire is too small for the quail to stick her head though. I looked for any sharp objects that she could have flew into, but all I could find was a 4-5cm long burrowing yabby that had two 1cm long claws (one thick and the other thin) could this have inflicted the injury???? The only other explanation was that she was in a fight with another jap. quail, but I doubt it as they have all gotten along fine for over a year now. Any ideas?

Thank-You

#60869 - 10/24/02 08:19 AM Re: Jap. quail with flesh wounds
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know what a yabby is but I can tell you that coturnix quail can and will fight when mature especially if the males and females are mixed. They can inflict serious injuries on each other. I have a male now who looks like someone slashed his throat. The only thing you can do is put some wound dressing on it and keep it clean. If at all possible separate the wounded bird from the rest until it heals.

#60870 - 10/24/02 09:59 AM Re: Jap. quail with flesh wounds
Anonymous
Unregistered

yep no nastier animal on earth thatn quail.. all cannibals.

#60871 - 10/24/02 12:13 PM Re: Jap. quail with flesh wounds
Anonymous
Unregistered

A yabby is a small ground burrowing crustacion that is related and looks similar to members of the crayfish/crawfish/lobster family.
They range from 2-6cm long (some can get to 15cm)
Our yard (and town)is full of them and there burrows. My Grandmother was walking next to the fence, and fell in to a cave that they made that was about 1m deep, and 1m wide/long. The chooks and turkeys love eating them!

Anyway, I put mecuracrome on her neck wound, and put her back with the other 4 females, she cant be too stressed because she is still laying eggs. Yesterday I went to a place where they breed quail for slaughter, and got myself 12 females, and 4 males to add to my other 5 females. My originals went hiding in the grasses, but the eventully started mingling with the new ones (no fighting yet, cross fingers)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2