Topic Options
#60899 - 02/15/05 05:40 AM raising pheasants
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need some advice on raising pheasant. How much room do they need till mature? how long does it take to raise till time of butcher? How noisy are they? I live very close to neighbors so noise would be a problem. How should I prepare a pin? What kind or problems should I expect to encounter? Will I need a lot of meds, pesticides etc? Do they need room to fly? Will they need places to hide?

#60900 - 02/15/05 12:06 PM Re: raising pheasants
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by obrion:
I need some advice on raising pheasant. How much room do they need till mature? how long does it take to raise till time of butcher? How noisy are they? I live very close to neighbors so noise would be a problem. How should I prepare a pin? What kind or problems should I expect to encounter? Will I need a lot of meds, pesticides etc? Do they need room to fly? Will they need places to hide?
We've raised 4 Ringnecks in a hoop house, 5x8'. It gets moved around through tall grass - we're not "flight conditioning them".

The roosters sound like a steam whistle, how fast they bulk up depends on what you feed them, type of bird - 4+ months.

We have not medicated our birds.

They love to hide in the clumps of tall grass & eat the seed tops. We've walked right up on a hen 2-3' and didn't notice she was there until she popped up like a jack-in-the-box and took off (first timers usually require a change of underwear...)

The rest of our birds are in larger hoop houses, again, they get moved around quite a bit, so they're pretty accustome to us being close to them.

I don't recommend this arrangement for others, we've done the huge flight pens before, and this was sort of an experiment. Roosters will fight in close quarters, and will kill eachother (even hens) if they get too crowded & stressed out.

#60901 - 02/15/05 01:47 PM Re: raising pheasants
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bill do you raise them for enjoyment or do you riase them to eat? Your pen is 5x8x how tall? Im think of building something like a chicken pen for them and give them access inside. Do you think that would work. Im also thinking of putting some ornamental grass for cover. Im still wondering how Im gonna catch them to butcher. Kinda sceptical about letting them fly out and shoot them out of hunting season.

#60902 - 02/16/05 06:49 AM Re: raising pheasants
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pleasure and to EAT!!!

The 5x8' is a hoop shape, with the center about 4' tall. There is a ledge on one end, about 24" deep that holds the feeder - we fill it from the outside, pouring feed through the 3/4" mesh into the feeder. About 4' of the hoop is covered with a plastic tarp, including the raised portion with the feeder - part of the tarp hangs down to give them a nice dry spot off the ground for bad weather.

If you can imagine a 5x8' footprint on the ground, then imagine 24" straight sides, with a curved hoop on top of that. All of it is made out of 3/4" vinyl coated 14 gauge wire, rung together with stainless "J" hooks (rabbit stuff).

No... the birds still have all the feathering, and their heads are not bald from konking themselves on the top of the hoop house.

Even with 1 cock and 3 hens in this seemingly small space, they are actually doing better than the bigger hoop house! They're quieter, and don't go nuts, flying all over the place when a dog comes around.

To catch them, we just crawl inside the hoop house and corner 'em. a net (fishing net on a long pole) is required in the bigger house - they move FAST!

We have BW Quail in a small hoop house, a little shorter in height.

I can't recommend specific grasses - the space is too small to have a good variety. However, they will munch down the taller native grasses (even fescue), even though we move them before they lose their cover. When they can't hide - we move the hoop house over 5' into taller grass.

These hoop houses are so light, I can pick it up with one hand. Because of the shape, and as long as you step the sides down good, nothing has penetrated them, not even snakes or rats.

Lastly, if you raise a bunch together (assuming you HAVE A PERMIT!!!!), if a rooster gets loose, it might come back and hang around. If a hen gets loose - count on it hanging around & trying to get back in. A capture cage comes in real handy for escapes.

Smoked Pheasant..... goooooood stuff!

#60903 - 02/17/05 02:45 PM Re: raising pheasants
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont have tall grass. The cats and dogs maybe be a problem as well. I can however put some brush and ornamental grasses in the pin. Am I barking up the wrong tree to raise pheasants? Again I have neighbors very close, So the odor and the noise is still an issue.

#60904 - 02/23/05 05:51 AM Re: raising pheasants
Anonymous
Unregistered

One friend of ours raised them in a play house (no windows or doors) surrounded by a fence. He filled the whole area with pine branches. Just guessing, the whole area wasn't much bigger than 15x20 and he regularily had +200 birds.
They didn't have room to fly, but lots of places to hide!
As far as flight conditioning, it never seemed to be a problem. We released some of his birds for dog training, and they were just like a wild one, pop up like a jack-in-the-box and take off like a rocket!

This guy was doing this in the middle of a suburban neighborhood, right in the middle of his back yard. I couldn't smell anything but pine around his pen.

Another friend of mine, his family had a very large game farm in the midwest, with huge flight pens, drop nets, etc. He's been a great resource, at first a scoffer... now he says, yeah, Bill, that might just work if you add this or that...

I don't think there is an absolute right / wrong way, but there is alot of, "That's the way we've always done it, therefore, we're right." Follow the state/federal game propigation laws, get the permits, and have some fun.

As far as the noise, yes, the sound of a rusty old steam whistle might annoy the neighbors. One of our roosters calls to the back-up alarm on the truck ... go figure!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2