Topic Options
#60913 - 02/10/09 06:02 PM Bobwhite Quail
Egostostick Offline
Chicken

Loc: Arizona
I just got four bobwhite quail, two males and two females, i have them in a 4X4X 3 tall cage with hay on the bottom, two opne wire sides and two covered. They have three peches. What do I need to do to get them to breed? I am feeding them layer crumble/ scratch grains is that good enough for them?

#60914 - 02/10/09 09:48 PM Re: Bobwhite Quail
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Mother Nature takes care of the timing--and I expect when they are settled, there will be mating. Some brush or thicket in two corners, might give the females the "hidden" suggestion that they will want. I do not know about two pair in that small space. They might not like their hatches together in such a small pen--I think a pen for each pair would be better, although they do live together when not nesting and raising the young. Some quail species do well in very small pens, Bob Whites? If they do not quarrel over the females, you may have nesting--you will just have to wait-----and disturb them as little as possible when feeding. (Mixed bird seed, is also very attractive to Quail, probably more than scratch grain.) CJR
Are they "whistling their Bob White"???

#60915 - 02/11/09 11:15 AM Re: Bobwhite Quail
Dee Dee Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Maryland
Many, many years ago when I and the world were young I remember hearing the quail at night singing their "bob white", "bob white" refrain. Now a quail sighting is such a rarity. About the only time I see them anymore is after field trials when the birds they use for testing the dogs are left behind. I've been told as captive raised birds they are unable to survive and re-establish the population. I wonder what the cause is for the decline in my area of Maryland.

#60916 - 02/11/09 12:59 PM Re: Bobwhite Quail
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
In my area, it was Great Horned Owls. The captive birds released at trials, sometimes made it through winter--at barnyards (few around any more). We had a small covey that ground-roosted under a spruce tree, just outside a bedroom window, and we could look down on them, in their little circle, heads out, tails in. There were 3 males and 2 females. One female was successful in hatching and raising 3 babies the next summer, and they stayed around the pasture and barn area, until late summer. When they disappeared (owls), the last male was seen walking into the edge of the woods, and whistled--last I ever saw of any. It is such a fantastic voice! I have it on tape! CJR

#60917 - 02/11/09 09:24 PM Re: Bobwhite Quail
Egostostick Offline
Chicken

Loc: Arizona
Thanks! I will be sure to put some brush in. And I love thei little whistling noises, it's cool.

#60918 - 02/13/09 01:14 PM Re: Bobwhite Quail
Dee Dee Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Maryland
In the more built up areas I would guess cats. But out here in the country I don't know. Actually what I just wrote turned on a light bulb. Think that with development pressures predator and prey are getting shoved into smaller and smaller areas, even here in the rural reserve. And quail are easy pickin's.

#60919 - 05/05/09 10:34 AM Re: Bobwhite Quail
Dustin Biery Offline
Chicken

Loc: Arkansas
I would be leery of having that ratio in one pen. They would do much better if seperated. Most all Bobwhite quail roost on the ground. Farm-raised quail can survive in the wild but you have to be able to flight condition them while raising. The main reason why released quail cannot make it in the wild is that their wing/flight muscles aren't nearly strong enough to help them avoid predators. Keep a close eye on your birds as breeding season nears. I fear that your males will begin to quarrel over the females and the females will be the ones to suffer.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2