Topic Options
#60920 - 07/18/02 10:25 PM deformed guinea feet
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 3 dozen 8 week old guineas. They have calmed down enough (if guineas ever calm down) for me to notice that the smallest one's toes don't work correctly, as if you took your first 3 fingers,held them out straight and crossed them over each other. It gets around by "walking" on its elbows or knees or what ever that first large joint is where the scaly part of the leg meets the feathered part. Anyone seen this before? It has not been injured that I know of. It keeps up with everyone and is able to roost just fine. Melissa

#60921 - 07/19/02 04:14 AM Re: deformed guinea feet
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
This isn't very uncommon and sometimes has to do with incubation rather than genetic problems. Were they hatched out by you or did you purchase them? Really, I'd never sell a keet (or other hatchling) with this deformity even though there is probably nothing that will actually hinder the bird from growing other that it may be easier pickings for a predator (although even a crippled guinea is fast enough and smart enough to not be 'easy pickins'). There is usually no concern as far as them getting around and the bird will do just fine if there are no other problems. However, if you are going to breed the guineas I'd keep this one out of the breeder flock just in case.

#60922 - 07/19/02 04:42 AM Re: deformed guinea feet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Melissa-
Check out this web page for methods of straightening crooked feet/legs on peafowl - but as the author states they can be used for any fowl.

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/

Kari S

#60923 - 07/19/02 11:45 AM Re: deformed guinea feet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BigBoy:
This isn't very uncommon and sometimes has to do with incubation rather than genetic problems. Were they hatched out by you or did you purchase them? Really, I'd never sell a keet (or other hatchling) with this deformity even though there is probably nothing that will actually hinder the bird from growing other that it may be easier pickings for a predator (although even a crippled guinea is fast enough and smart enough to not be 'easy pickins'). There is usually no concern as far as them getting around and the bird will do just fine if there are no other problems. However, if you are going to breed the guineas I'd keep this one out of the breeder flock just in case.
----- (I'm having trouble figuring out how to use the changes to the site.)
Thank you for your input. I ordered these guineas as day old keets from a catalog. No, I was not going to breed them and would never knowingly breed something like that. From what I've read on other birds, it sounds like something that happened during incubation. I am surprised this one didn't get pulled out before shipping. However, I've had them 8 weeks, handled each as soon as it arrived, and never noticed the problem.
They were all pre-sold, but now I'm going to keep 5, the deformed one and the four that roost closest to it. I'm not planning on breeding them.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2