Topic Options
#60926 - 10/09/03 05:02 PM quail and chickens together
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do quail and chickens get along? if kept in same house how do you keep them from eating each others feed? would it matter if they ate each others food? could I let the quail free range for a while and expect them to go back to the coop? thanks! laugh

#60927 - 10/10/03 05:49 AM Re: quail and chickens together
Tiny Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
Quail and Chickens do not get along in the same pen. The chickens will kill the Quial. And Qauil are best raise on wire. in pens you can use large Rabbit cages for raising them. and they can be stacked.

#60928 - 10/10/03 08:00 PM Re: quail and chickens together
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about pheasent?

#60929 - 10/14/03 11:43 PM Re: quail and chickens together
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quail are typically raised on wire because of their size. Containing them in a outdoor pen could be difficult. I don't raise quail myself, but wild quail are always scratching around with my chickens as long as the turkeys are elsewhere. Although I can't recommend mixing, as I don't have any experience doing it, other then the latter, I would definitely use a larger, "wilder" species, like gambles, valley, or bobwhite(not a "wilder" species but it has size).

As for pheasant, I have a lone ring neck rooster that lives with my poultry (turkeys, goose, and chickens). He does well, mostly hanging out with the turkeys(why I don't know, they hate him). He can get pretty aggressive with my chicken roosters in the spring though.

#60930 - 10/15/03 11:00 PM Re: quail and chickens together
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Mississippi
Quail are raised on wire not because of size but because of disease. Quail raised on dirt are far more likely to catch one of many diseases carried by earthworms or other organisms. Quail can not be free ranged as they will return to the wild or be eaten by predators. If the pen is large enough quail and chickens can be raised together. They can eat each others feed but quail will need a higher protein feed to survive and produce.
Almost any bird can be raised in the same pen as other birds if given plenty of room. I raise chickens, fantail and king pigeons, ring neck and diamond doves, wood duck, mandarin ducks, chukars, several breeds of quail and 12 different kinds of pheasants in the same pen with no problem. It is a large covered pen.

#60931 - 10/15/03 11:39 PM Re: quail and chickens together
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for the correction. Like I said, I don't raise quail. If it is because of disease (not doubting you john, it's just the way I worded it), really the breeders are forcing themselves to use cages. If they would breed for a healthier, naturally immune stock, they wouldn't have to worry about pen raised quail.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2