Topic Options
#60996 - 10/20/06 07:02 AM red chested golden phesant
Draconus Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Kansas
i just got 12. 8 males and 4 females. some males have croooked toes. ill get rid of them. i was wondering. if they are all related will the babies hatch outr weird? thanks in advance for your replys.

#60997 - 10/20/06 07:47 AM Re: red chested golden phesant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I surely cant tell if they are related, but, crooked toes can be a sign of inbreeding. I have been researching pheasants for some time and picked up a few golds and yellow golds this past summer. I think they are crossed with Amhersts tho so will likely get rid of them. I kept them about 20 years ago but not seriously.

#60998 - 10/20/06 10:54 AM Re: red chested golden phesant
Anonymous
Unregistered

There was a discussion about the golden and mutations and such on www.gbwf.org a while back... try to look it up on there. The Golden (often referred to as Red Golden) pheasant is the ACTUAL wild form. There are many mutations and such but at least try to buy pure goldens. All the mutations such as Yellow golden and Dark Throat, etc. are not hybrids, they are pure, just mutations within the species. There are many birds out there that are hybrids between Amhersts and Goldens and they are very beautiful birds in their own right but they are useless as anything other than a pretty bird. If you buy hybrids (crosses between species) then at least do both of the species the bird was crossed from to form a favor and don't breed from the hybrid bird...

Look around the link I gave you and you can find some more info. on them... good luck.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2