Topic Options
#61007 - 09/25/02 05:55 AM feed waste
Bonnie in IN Offline
Chicken

Loc: Indiana
Now that I know what to feed and water-----I would like to know what you people do to slow the feed waste.

I am feeding out of a small round poultry feeder, it does not have holes to eat out of.

Is that the mistake, do the quail need a feeder that they have to put their heads into????

Their are wasting a ton of feed. thanks

#61008 - 09/25/02 06:32 AM Re: feed waste
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Feed waste, per se, doesn't really matter unless the feed bills are starting to pile up. I use red plastic feeders with snap tops having holes molded in for feeding small birds like quail and new keets and bantams. This will cut down on wastage and are easy to clean and disinfect. The best remedy for waste is to gradually change over to crumbles and/or small pellets. Quail are cute and are friendlier than guineas but I am enjoying the Coral Blues that I purchased last month. I've always enjoyed the Pearls but I wish that they would be as friendly as the Bobwhites.

#61009 - 09/26/02 05:47 AM Re: feed waste
Tiny Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
we have the feeder out side of the cage so the have to put head throw cage to feed. and that cut down on the waste smile . also put wire in the feeder so they can not throw the feed out, or use chick feeder with the holes in . to slow feed waste.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2