Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#61051 - 11/23/04 01:02 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
You are right but I have had some good discussions with participants there including Jan, dan and others on the subject. I wanted to know what was so wrong with hybridizing. In the end, I am in agreement with them.
The board was eliminated recently due to some very offensive postings and it will be a private board upon return, thats good, more boards should and will move in that direction. It does protect the integrity of the site.

#61052 - 11/23/04 06:03 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Anonymous
Unregistered

It isn't that I want to cross-breed. On the contrary, I want to know WHY they can cross AND be fertile.
Many species are hybrids....horses to donkeys, domestic cats to bobcats, coyotes to domestic dogs,donkeys to zebras, zebra's to horses....and the beat goes on. With almost NO exceptions in the equine species, to date, they are totally sterile. The cases where they weren't are even suspect of surgical alterations to allow them to conceive. It is this concept that amazes me about the birds in discussion.
I know these are totally different species catagories. I search, and read, and ask questions BECAUSE I don't look for the "easy read". for whatever reasons, I am not against hybrid breeding. If it wasn't meant to be it wouldn't. It is this evolution that has brought about some of the species known today. I just want to learn more. Thank you all for the info I have received from you to date. I know there will be more to come!! wink
Sally

#61053 - 11/23/04 09:58 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Mississippi
Hi Sally, on the housecat/bobcat hybrids. I have a friend who raises many species of cats including hybrids. According to him, there has never been a documentated case of a housecat/bobcat cross. There is a large reward for anyone who can produce one. I have heard of them all of my life but according to DNA it hasn't happened yet.
There are several pheasant species that crossbreed in the wild. Several more can but their native homeland is too distant . Captive breeding puts these birds together that would never be near each other in the wild. Incubating and brooding different species together is a cause of many hybrids.
There is a pheasant/pheasant hybrid that is used as a brood hen. They will become broody at almost any time of the year, will set and raise any type of birds, and are as tame and gentle as any pet chicken.

#61054 - 11/24/04 08:29 AM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

The gold and L.Amhersts pheasants have overlapping territories in the wild yet there has never been documentation of a native hybrid. In california and England there are feral populations of the Mandarin, in Calif. they exist in the same areas. Study has shown they get along well and have many interactions, they do Not crossbreed. The Mandies even migrate to some extent("The Mandarin & the Wood Duck",Lawton Shurtleff)
very little research has been done on most species, in their native habitats. Likely due to those countries politics.
There may be a place for hybrid research, not by the general animal keeper tho. The average person is ignorant to the repercussions of these animals being released. I dont think anything can be said to stop those who are going to do the wrong thing, they have decided thats what they are gonna due, no matter what. Some, like me, will be enlughtened, some will not. There are domestic critters which offer much experimental fun with little impact on genetic contamination.Right now I am working on a crested duck project with some Wild Turkey involved.

#61055 - 11/24/04 08:31 AM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

I sorta plegarized the Wild Turkey thing from another post. It does aid in my imagination tho.

#61056 - 11/24/04 12:44 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Mississippi
The original home of the golden is usually considered to be in western Hupeh, eastern and northern Szechuan, southern Shensi and Kansu, and south-eastern Kokonor.
The original home of the amherst is considered to be extreme eastern parts of Tibet proper, in the mountains of western Szechuan, and northern Yunnan.
Their territory didn't quite overlap originally. Nowdays with the intervention of man the boundaries may not exist.
Many pheasant breeders think the dark throat golden is a cross of the golden and amherst but this only happened in captivity.
The Eared pheasant have overlapping terriitories and there are wild hybrids. The Kalij have overlapping territories and there are many wild hybrids.

#61057 - 11/24/04 04:42 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

So, how about some good book titles and authors names. Winter is coming and I need some more reading.

#61058 - 11/24/04 08:06 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmmm "Call of the Wild" by Blue P. Hencock??
LOL Happy Thanksgiving Rob and all!! wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2