Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61041 - 09/04/04 09:21 AM raising exotic pheasant
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
are pheasant easy to raise, what kind of health problems, type of housing, nesting, can I raise a pair in my pigeon coop 12x12, with 1/2 4ft. roof all 6ft. high., do they use a box to hide or prefer a pile of brush. can they become acustumed to staying around and penned at night or are they just to flighty? Can you tame them? thanks for any info.

#61042 - 09/04/04 01:50 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Golds and Amhersts are easy, Silvers can be. I have seen some which were pretty tame but not like chooks. mine were moderatly tame. I dont know how your pigeon LOFT(chickens live in coops)is set up but the size sounds adequate for a pair or trio. You can do some searches and g;lean lots of info on the www. I would love to have some again, maybe if I can get the proper set up I will. I had them in 4x8 runs before and that bothered me so bad I gave them away.

#61043 - 11/06/04 06:28 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 1 pair of silvers and a male red golden and they all share the same pen. It is approx. 12x12, part covered and part open but all under netting. I've had them all since hatchlings and the silvers tolerate me but are not tame. The red golden, Pharoah, sees me as a buddy of sorts. He calls to me, quite often, and when I go into the pen to feed and water them he will ease up to me so I can ALMOST pet him. I actually did run my fingers lightly over his tail feathers today as he walked past me. He hovers around me when I am near the pen. He got loose, along with his brother, once. The brother got ate or flew away. Pharoah kept moving WITH me no matter where I went and followed me right back in the pen!! He was much younger and didn't have his color yet. I really have to find him a mate by spring. I wonder if they can cross breed with silvers??
Sally

#61044 - 11/08/04 06:23 AM Re: raising exotic pheasant
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Mississippi
The red goldens will cross with the silvers with the males sometimes fertile, the females are not fertile. Goldens will also cross with red junglefowl, swinhoes, cheer, copper, reeves, ringnecks, amherst, and chickens.
The silvers will cross with impeyan,red junglefowl,grey junglefowl,kalig, imperial,swinhoe,crested fireback, siamese fireback,brown ear,cheer,elliot,reeves,ringneck, goldens, and chickens.
When breeding season comes the silver will kill the golden if left in the same pen. Young first year birds can be kept together but mature birds can not.
Hope this helps.

#61045 - 11/21/04 06:47 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks johnt,
Although my phesants seem to get along ok the silver does signal and flutter his wings a lot now but I thought I was causing it. I will get my red golden male out. What puzzled me is the part that the goldens will cross with junglefowl and chickens. Do u mean that they can actually fertilize the eggs? Can the eggs actually hatch?
Wow....if so, that is as bizarre as the fact of peafowl and guineas being related and cross-breeding. Good Lord, what ever could the chicken crosses look like? Any pics of such matings??
Thanks,
Sally

#61046 - 11/22/04 06:50 AM Re: raising exotic pheasant
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

I do some research in pheasant hybrids. The golden/junglefowl can produce fertile hybrids in both sexes, not alway though. The hybrids can be bred and will produce. The results of a golden/junglefowl or a golden/chicken is usually a very ugly bird. That is the main reason you do not see more of them. It isn't unusual for many species of pheasants to mate with chickens, not all species will hatch.
I will have to check my records but just going by memory almost all species of pheasants will produce hybrids with either chickens or another species of pheasant. Some like the silvers, reeves, goldens, amherst, and kalij will produce hybrids with many other species.
Many people who raise pheasants do not now consider the red junglefowl a pheasant. More like a domesticated chicken. It has been crossed with chickens so much there are very few if any pure birds in the U.S.

#61047 - 11/22/04 04:11 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Anonymous
Unregistered

WOW, that is so good to hear. I have a male red-golden I am very attatched to but if I don't find him a harem wink by next spring I will have to "loan" him a couple hens LOL I just can't imagine the crosses they would hatch eek don't think I want to go there!! Just the thought of the peafowl and the guineas crossing gives me nightmares LOL.(sorry if I'm stepping on anyones toes who really likes these crosses)
Thanks again,
Sally
P.s. Is there a site for me to start a search. I have kept coming up empty handed.

#61048 - 11/23/04 07:13 AM Re: raising exotic pheasant
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

There isn't very many places to search for info on hybrids. Some people get real disturbed at the thought of hybrids. In reality there isn't any use for the pheasant/chicken crosses. Most of the hybrids are not very pretty birds, are slow growers, and many are not very longlived or healthy. Not all goldens will cross with chickens so it isn't as easy as putting hens with the male golden.
Some of the pheasant/pheasant hybrids are very pretty birds then others have the same looks and fate as the golden/chicken hybrids. Some of the prettiest quail are hybrids also. The bobwhite/blue scale is very pretty.

#61049 - 11/23/04 09:24 AM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Sally, what do you want to search for, the birds themselves or hybridizimg info? If the Game Bird & waterfowl message board get their difficulties worked out that is the place to find pheasants and other goodies for sale. I use the inter library loan system for books, I also have some in my own libray. Some authors are , DeLacour, Gray, Jonsgard, there are more. Some of the books are on the biology of the species and might not interest a lot looking for just a easy read, others deal with breeding and management, some deal with 1 persons research.

#61050 - 11/23/04 11:13 AM Re: raising exotic pheasant
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Just a little info. If you go on GBWF and even mention a hybrid you will recieve many insulting messages before your message is deleted. That would be the place NOT to go for info on hybrids. It does state there should be no posts about hybrids. It is great for info on pure species and to find some of the more rare species. Just be sure and do not mention hybrids.

#61051 - 11/23/04 01:02 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

You are right but I have had some good discussions with participants there including Jan, dan and others on the subject. I wanted to know what was so wrong with hybridizing. In the end, I am in agreement with them.
The board was eliminated recently due to some very offensive postings and it will be a private board upon return, thats good, more boards should and will move in that direction. It does protect the integrity of the site.

#61052 - 11/23/04 06:03 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Anonymous
Unregistered

It isn't that I want to cross-breed. On the contrary, I want to know WHY they can cross AND be fertile.
Many species are hybrids....horses to donkeys, domestic cats to bobcats, coyotes to domestic dogs,donkeys to zebras, zebra's to horses....and the beat goes on. With almost NO exceptions in the equine species, to date, they are totally sterile. The cases where they weren't are even suspect of surgical alterations to allow them to conceive. It is this concept that amazes me about the birds in discussion.
I know these are totally different species catagories. I search, and read, and ask questions BECAUSE I don't look for the "easy read". for whatever reasons, I am not against hybrid breeding. If it wasn't meant to be it wouldn't. It is this evolution that has brought about some of the species known today. I just want to learn more. Thank you all for the info I have received from you to date. I know there will be more to come!! wink
Sally

#61053 - 11/23/04 09:58 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Hi Sally, on the housecat/bobcat hybrids. I have a friend who raises many species of cats including hybrids. According to him, there has never been a documentated case of a housecat/bobcat cross. There is a large reward for anyone who can produce one. I have heard of them all of my life but according to DNA it hasn't happened yet.
There are several pheasant species that crossbreed in the wild. Several more can but their native homeland is too distant . Captive breeding puts these birds together that would never be near each other in the wild. Incubating and brooding different species together is a cause of many hybrids.
There is a pheasant/pheasant hybrid that is used as a brood hen. They will become broody at almost any time of the year, will set and raise any type of birds, and are as tame and gentle as any pet chicken.

#61054 - 11/24/04 08:29 AM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

The gold and L.Amhersts pheasants have overlapping territories in the wild yet there has never been documentation of a native hybrid. In california and England there are feral populations of the Mandarin, in Calif. they exist in the same areas. Study has shown they get along well and have many interactions, they do Not crossbreed. The Mandies even migrate to some extent("The Mandarin & the Wood Duck",Lawton Shurtleff)
very little research has been done on most species, in their native habitats. Likely due to those countries politics.
There may be a place for hybrid research, not by the general animal keeper tho. The average person is ignorant to the repercussions of these animals being released. I dont think anything can be said to stop those who are going to do the wrong thing, they have decided thats what they are gonna due, no matter what. Some, like me, will be enlughtened, some will not. There are domestic critters which offer much experimental fun with little impact on genetic contamination.Right now I am working on a crested duck project with some Wild Turkey involved.

#61055 - 11/24/04 08:31 AM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

I sorta plegarized the Wild Turkey thing from another post. It does aid in my imagination tho.

#61056 - 11/24/04 12:44 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

The original home of the golden is usually considered to be in western Hupeh, eastern and northern Szechuan, southern Shensi and Kansu, and south-eastern Kokonor.
The original home of the amherst is considered to be extreme eastern parts of Tibet proper, in the mountains of western Szechuan, and northern Yunnan.
Their territory didn't quite overlap originally. Nowdays with the intervention of man the boundaries may not exist.
Many pheasant breeders think the dark throat golden is a cross of the golden and amherst but this only happened in captivity.
The Eared pheasant have overlapping terriitories and there are wild hybrids. The Kalij have overlapping territories and there are many wild hybrids.

#61057 - 11/24/04 04:42 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

So, how about some good book titles and authors names. Winter is coming and I need some more reading.

#61058 - 11/24/04 08:06 PM Re: raising exotic pheasant
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmmm "Call of the Wild" by Blue P. Hencock??
LOL Happy Thanksgiving Rob and all!! wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2