Topic Options
#61063 - 11/14/02 04:54 PM Broody quail
Anonymous
Unregistered

My friend has some quail (I think they are cornix) and has 10 in the same pen. 2 are now setting on separate nests on seperate sides of the pen. Should we move them to separate hutches? Or can they hatch the babies in with the other quail? If we move them will they continue to stay broody? Can quail raise their own babies or will we have to remove the babies once they hatch? I'm sorry I have so many questions but I have an interest in making sure these quail hatch. I'm getting half of what hatches so I can finally have quail so please help me! smile

Thanks in advance for any help or advice,

Anise

#61064 - 11/16/02 01:58 AM Re: Broody quail
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you want to make sure, then you should take the eggs and put them in an incubator. Other than this, your best bet would be to remove the other quail and leave the broody ones. When the eggs hatch you should continue to keep the chicks separate from the other quail. Quail should not be mixed with different age groups. By that I mean that you can mix quail as long as there is not so much of an age difference as to cause a large size difference. This time of year it would probably be best if you brood the chicks inside.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2