Topic Options
#61065 - 05/02/04 11:24 AM gold fheasant dark throat
Kurro Offline
Feather

Loc: Spain
I have a gold fheasant normal, but I think I have a female with the dark throat mutation. Do you know if this mutation is dominant on normal gold?
Thanks, because she is laying eggs and IŽm not sure if I like get more dark throat. :p

#61066 - 05/02/04 02:45 PM Re: gold fheasant dark throat
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Hi, Kurro. I think it's recessive. Most of the different Golden pheasant mutations seem to be that way. I'm no expert, though, so maybe someone else has a more informed opinion.

Jennifer

#61067 - 05/02/04 02:45 PM Re: gold fheasant dark throat
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Mississippi
There is a difference in the dark throat goldens in overseas collections and those in the U.S. Some dark throat are a natural mutation of the red golden and some are a result of a cross made to the amherst. In either case it is condidered an ordinary recessive mutation. If your female is a split and your male does carry the mutation the possibility of getting more dark throat is increased.
Most pheasant people will disagree on where and when the dark throat began to show up. The hen dark throat is easy to spot in a group of hens as she is a darker chocolate color, the roosters, when in full color isn't that much different than the red golden. The young of either sex are a dark chocolate color with a white spot under the chin.

#61068 - 05/06/04 02:47 PM Re: gold fheasant dark throat
Kurro Offline
Feather

Thank you for your help. I think this hen is dark because the dark mutation not because of lady. IŽll get some babies so IŽll get blood of refresh , althougt may be I get in the future some dark througt not in f1 I hope , and... well there are people who may like........... . Also I would be sure isnŽt any lady. Thanks again and sorry webmaster not write in the correct forum at first.

#61069 - 05/08/04 07:07 AM Re: gold fheasant dark throat
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

Hi Kurro,
There has been much discussion on the dark throat. What has been found is they have never been observed in a wild state, only in captivity.
One recorded fact is, In 1907, 3 amherst hens were bred to a golden cock and produced a number of young. In 1909 these birds were mated and 20 birds were the result. Among these were 3 chicks that were a dark chocolate color. These birds were bred later and all have produced the dark throat birds along with normal color goldens. To some people this proves the dark throat is a cross with amherst that has been bred through the generations and nowdays is almost pure golden. Almost, not pure.
The first recorded captive red goldens was in 1740 so a lot could have happened since then. I do know personally that some of the new colors of goldens that are being sold nowdays are a result of crosses.

#61070 - 05/21/04 01:15 PM Re: gold fheasant dark throat
Kurro Offline
Feather

Thanks Johnt. My hen is chocolate really and I have six eggs in the incubator, doesnŽt matter for the moment but I think IŽll try to change her for another . IŽve another hen normal but she is sister of the male. I like pure golden color.
The other day I saw a male, a joung male clear color than normal but I could see the dark throat under his neck like my hen. Well I think must be a intermediate gigi-golden dark throat.
As you said dark thoat must become from lady,sure,because people likes proving new colours wink

#61071 - 01/27/05 11:18 AM Re: gold fheasant dark throat
Kurro Offline
Feather

Well, two pairs grew up very well and beautifull and everyone are golden standar color, althought they are still young I think when the males get two years they also will be as beautifull as the standar ones.

#61072 - 01/28/05 03:49 PM Re: gold fheasant dark throat
John T. Offline
Coop Cleaner

The offspring will carry the dark throat gene even though they look like red goldens. It will show up again in later hatches.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2