Topic Options
#61172 - 08/03/02 01:22 PM pickled eggs
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I pickled my first 30 quail eggs and they are good. To remove shells I put the eggs in a qt. jar and covered with white vinegat. Presto, in thge am, no more shell. Did have to remove the inner membrane. I dont believe it would be economical for larger eggs tho.

#61173 - 08/03/02 02:23 PM Re: pickled eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rob, you could write your own "101 ways with poultry!" :-)
How long did you leave them in the vinegar before eating one? does the vinegar dissolve the shell and do you have to fish them out to get rid of the membrane and then return them to the jar ?
You are one facinating person!

#61174 - 08/03/02 02:37 PM Re: pickled eggs
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Out of curiosity, do you first boil the eggs, and then pickle them? I guess I never did like the taste of raw eggs, and I did not think anyone else would be pickling raw eggs on purpose. Please enlighten me. smile

#61175 - 08/03/02 07:38 PM Re: pickled eggs
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Cochima, Ileft them in the vin. over nite and the shell dissolved leaving the film. Poured into seive then peeled and put in a big jar with pickling spices and vin. Aram, well, one time when I was pickled I ate some raw eggs! I definately hard boil 1st! The quail eggs are pickled in 2 days,vs. about 6 for chicken. I think ill make red and green ones for the holidays.

#61176 - 08/03/02 08:02 PM Re: pickled eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will definately have to try it!!... thanks for the recipe!!!!!!
(and I'll make sure they're hard boiled!!)

#61177 - 08/05/02 07:44 PM Re: pickled eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rob, could you possibly post your recipe for pickled eggs? What else do you put in the jar with them? I've been trying and trying to find a decent pickled egg recipe but no luck so far.

#61178 - 12/03/07 01:43 AM Re: pickled eggs
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Am very interested in trying these pickled eggs on my surplus of bantam eggs. Has anyone tried this in recent years, and what is the purpose of disolving the shell? Couldn't they just be boiled and peeled? Have a good pickling brew I can do the last part with.

#61179 - 12/12/07 07:58 AM Re: pickled eggs
Kraienkoppe Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oklahoma
We have been pickling our extra chicken and duck eggs since late summer. We hard boil the eggs and rapidly cool them with cold water, so that the shells come off without sticking. We've used bread and butter pickle mix, like they sell in the store and add a few slices of beet to the mix for color. Since most of our eggs are from Kraienkoppes, they are small/medium in size. We've found that we fit about a dozen eggs in a quart jar.

Like Rob mentioned, it takes a couple of days for the eggs to actually pickle. We will start eating some after two or three days. But they get much better after a week.

We also canned ours. Since we could find no data on canning eggs we canned them as if they were meat using 10 pounds of pressure for 70 minutes. We figured that nothing harmful could survive that treatment. They have kept, on the shelf for months with no problem. Once opened they must be stored in the fridge.

We have a son away at college and send him to school with quarts of pickled eggs. It's a great source of protein for a "starving student." He loves them.

George

#61180 - 12/12/07 09:18 PM Re: pickled eggs
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
What a great idea George. I came to the conclusion that Rob would have disolved the eggshells because quail eggs would be fiddly to peel. Went ahead in the end and peeled my bantam eggs, (Though I must say it was interesting watching the vinegar bubble on the eggshells. Great chemistry interaction for a science project at school), Couldn't find my regular recipe which is for pickling gherkins, so guessed, and got the solution just a bit sharp, but still very edible. Not at all put off by the bright yellow eggs as a result of using tumeric, but I also see it would be good to use beetroot for a different coloured dye. A good idea for Easter too.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2