Topic Options
#61221 - 01/24/10 06:08 PM Sexed Bantams?
Chip Offline
Chicken

Loc: Georgia
Hi, is anyone aware of a good hatchery that has sexed bantam chicks?

thanks so much!

#61222 - 01/25/10 08:59 AM Re: Sexed Bantams?
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
There are none. As far as I know there is not anyway to sex bantams. Rog

#61223 - 01/25/10 08:16 PM Re: Sexed Bantams?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If you want either pullets or cockerels of a special breed, consider purchasing your choice of birds welll started, from a breeder. It will cost you less in the long run, as you will know what you are getting and get what you want.

Chicks are a real GUESS no matter what hatchery you might choose. Fun, but sometimes an expense that has to be replaced after disappointment, loss of time and money. CJR

#61224 - 01/26/10 06:38 AM Re: Sexed Bantams?
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
CJR is absolutely correct. Some of us do not ship chicks or hatching eggs at all, but I for one ship started birds that are from four to six weeks old, sometimes even older. By that time they can be sexed and the weaklings have been eliminated. The buyer has a better chance of receiving what he or she really wants, and has to feed fewer birds in the process. I usually recommend at least two trios to get off to a good start.
1st John 5:11-12

#61225 - 01/26/10 06:41 AM Re: Sexed Bantams?
Chip Offline
Chicken

Loc: Georgia
Thanks for your reply and I agree with you CJR & Bushman. This order is actually for a friend of mine in the city who really wants to raise up very tame chicks by hand so they will be friendly pets. That is why day olds are preferred. In my experience it is much more difficult to take a started bird than a bird that has been raised up from the beginning.

#88200 - 02/12/10 03:33 PM Re: Sexed Bantams? [Re: Chip]
Le Neige Homme Offline
New Egg

Loc: California
My Pet Chicken offers sexed bantams.

#88204 - 02/12/10 11:13 PM Re: Sexed Bantams? [Re: Le Neige Homme]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Well, once again, this new site ate my answer and would not show a preview. I'll try to recreate my response.

Briefly, do not count on sexed bantams!~!! even the leading hatcheries only promise 85-90% accuracy oh their large breed chicks--and after that exam, I cannot imagine any chick wanting ANYTHING to do with people--EVER again!~It can be harmful to bantam chicks--NOT my chicks, for sure!!

Chicks come with different personality and temperament, not exhibited until they are weaned, feathered and showing some independence. Chicks, like good men, love hand fed food, and will soon, follow you into the house! If one dear one comes running when you whistle for them, they all will--follow ithe leader (and there will be a leader). Gently raised chicks, regardless who does it, respond nicely to new quiet surroundings. And if you get to choose from a small flock, you have a chance to reject the wild ones, even though they could mellow as they get to know you. My birds, mostly, are afraid of strangers, especially if they wear any unusual clothing. However, some are so sweet that visiting children may hold them (but I always show them how to hold the wings close,and move the legs back a bit, under their arms--and not too tight--sit on the grass, as sometime children will drop a bird that talks or moves a little--never a good thing, as next time, that sweet bird may not want a child to hold them!) More depends upon your relationship with your young birds after YOU get them, than having them from day olds. So, again, get older pullets for your friend, choose them personally, if possible, and choose one of the breeds that is generally quieter, although that is not a sure thing, just a better choice. Good luck. CJR

#88278 - 02/19/10 11:25 AM Re: Sexed Bantams? [Re: CJR]
Le Neige Homme Offline
New Egg

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: CJR
...and after that exam, I cannot imagine any chick wanting ANYTHING to do with people--EVER again!~It can be harmful to bantam chicks--NOT my chicks, for sure!!

Makes sense to me, now that you mention it. Thank you for posting that.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2