Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61330 - 10/08/02 07:22 PM Unsuccess w/ spent hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

I baked a hen last weekend (my weekend with the kids) - I batter fried the pieces for 10 minutes then baked for 60 at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. The flavor was good but the meat was tough. My 12 year old couldn't bite through it frown .

Next time I will bake it under cream of mushroom soup - that seemed to work last time I tried it.

#61331 - 10/08/02 09:49 PM Re: Unsuccess w/ spent hen
Nancy Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Michigan
Lee, you poor thing I don't think I know of anyone who has had worse luck with touch chicken. frown Something has got to work for you...just keep trying!
Good luck to you!
Nancy

#61332 - 10/09/02 05:48 AM Re: Unsuccess w/ spent hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone ever tried piercing the meat and sprinkling with meat tenderizer? I know this works on beef, would it work on chicken? Would you have to use skinless chicken? Would it alter the flavor too much?
I have an older mixed breed roo that will be one of the first to go in the pot. I am sure the only way he would be edible is to stew him. But it would be nice to find another way to cook those older hens.
Thanks,
SB

#61333 - 10/09/02 08:11 AM Re: Unsuccess w/ spent hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

You may be able to use lemon, lime, or orange juice. It works for tough beef.
Beth

#61334 - 10/09/02 10:26 AM Re: Unsuccess w/ spent hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you, everyone, for your advice. Nancy, I had forgotten how really nice it is to get sympathy from women! wink

I'm home over lunch break now and am thawing some leg pieces. I'll bake them under creamed corn (the kind with no dairy because my oldest boy has a dairy allergy) for 90 minutes at 350 to see if that will work for us.

I have a large flock of layers and really don't want to just give away the spent hens. I need to watch expenses pretty closely these days and finding a way to use the spent hens is a must. A friend pointed out that it doesn't make sense for me to have to add another $2 - $3 on the front end of each spent hen (by buying orange juice or something expensive like cream, which I couldn't use anyway because my kid's dairy allergy). But, using the non-dairy creamed corn, which becomes a vegetable at the table as well, it might work well.

I'll post back again this evening with results, I'm sure.

#61335 - 10/09/02 02:50 PM Re: Unsuccess w/ spent hen
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Shari,

I can't imagine why meat tenderizer wouldn't work with chicken but I do think it would have to be skinless. The only caution with the meat tenderizer I have used is that it contains salt so you have to take that into account when adding seasonings.

Another great tenderizer -- wine. Get the cheap stuff! smile

Susie

#61336 - 10/09/02 03:19 PM Re: Unsuccess w/ spent hen
Nancy Offline
Flock Leader

Italian dressing (I make my own) is also very good for tenderizing (soak overnight) and also gives a wonderful flavor!

#61337 - 10/09/02 03:55 PM Re: Unsuccess w/ spent hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about Italian Dressing and wine!!? I think I'll bake a chicken tomorow!!

#61338 - 10/09/02 05:14 PM Re: Unsuccess w/ spent hen
Nancy Offline
Flock Leader

Personally I would save the wine for my personal consumption...ha ha.
Actually when I make my dressing I use red wine vinegar so I guess that may count.

#61339 - 10/09/02 07:33 PM Re: Unsuccess w/ spent hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

THe corn I had in the cupboard wasn't creamed corn so I baked the leg pieces under gumbo for 2 hours. THe flavor was very good, but the meat was still very tough. I cut it up and served the 'chicken gumbo' as a gravy over rice. My kids liked it a lot. Both boys said it was good (one said 'very good' and the other said "a lot better than I expected")

I'll check the Italian dressing for dairy ingredients. If it has none, I'll try soaking 24 hours in that. The breast meat comes out almost normal but the leg meat is tough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn