Topic Options
#61361 - 09/29/02 09:15 AM Most odd egg....
Anonymous
Unregistered

We got this egg last evening. It is a very small egg - maybe even smaller than 'peewee' size.

#61362 - 09/29/02 09:24 AM Re: Most odd egg....
Anonymous
Unregistered

The same egg with a dime and a regular sized egg:

#61363 - 09/29/02 01:31 PM Re: Most odd egg....
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
So called "wind eggs" are usually all white with no yolk contained therein. I once had a hen that regularily produced them. I have seen them on an occassion in several of my Leghorns but never in any of my brown egg strains. I can't say that brown egg strains don't produce them but in the tens of thousands of eggs I have seen in my life I have never seen one of these eggs in a brown strain. They are reported to be caused when an amount of egg white either is released into the oviduct separately from a regular egg or somehow starts down through the uterus by itself. Shell is formed over the white and a little egg results. Many of the eggs have the nipple shape on the end and many are more "egg shaped"..the weight is usually in the neighborhood of 7 to 11 grams.

#61364 - 09/29/02 10:49 PM Re: Most odd egg....
Anonymous
Unregistered

They do come with the brown layers also. I get them from time to time. Most recent yesterday. Never got the nipple type just veryyyyy small. Close to the size of a nickel.

#61365 - 09/30/02 03:55 AM Re: Most odd egg....
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a White Leghorn hen with huge wattles and comb (we call her 'rooster hen') that lays only these tiny little eggs. They never have any yolk in them, just a daub of egg white.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn