Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61377 - 09/08/02 01:52 PM New topic area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

We raise a lot of chickens and butcher essentially half of them (most of the roosters). We also have the problem of getting rid of the spent hens.

Note to the moderator(s): We need a new topic area. The title would be something like: Preparing Poultry for the Table or something like that. We could discuss various ways of preparing, serving, butchering, recipes --- after

#61378 - 09/08/02 02:26 PM Re: New topic area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

YES, I agree! I would appreciate such a topic. I will be doing some birds (chickens and ducks) for the very first time. I am going to need you guys to help me. I am sure I will have LOTS of questions.
Shari

#61379 - 09/08/02 02:39 PM Re: New topic area....
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
That could be a worthwhile topic, good idea Lee

#61380 - 09/08/02 03:18 PM Re: New topic area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you, Rob and Shari. (Shari, I was hoping you could help me! I contribute to a saxophone discussion group for musicians (I once played professionally) Sax on the Web - if anyone is interested, you can see the "Saxophone Lifestyle" area then "Harrell's Sax Kitchen" and related threads in the "forum". (My name is Harrell Lee Sellers)

It seems that there are quite a few musicians that also cook. We've been talking a lot lately about how to prepare poultry. But, those guys are not as expert as you would think most of the poultry keepers would be at preparing those 'tough' home-grown yard birds. (The famous alto saxophonist, Charlie Parker, got his nickname, "Bird", because the car in which he was riding hit a chicken and he made the driver stop to pick up the dead "yard bird" so they could cook it.)

Surely there would be as much interest in "Preparing Poultry for the Table" as there is in "Poultry Management" and other topic areas.

Lee

#61381 - 09/08/02 07:10 PM Re: New topic area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

NOW THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!! I SPENT 3 HOURS FRIDAY LOOKING FOR A WEBSITE THAT GIVES ME THIS INFORMATION. I HAVE 9 PULLETS TOO MANY AND WILL NEED TO HAVE SOME FOR DINNER OTHERWISE I AM AFRAID I WILL FIND THEM IN THE COOP DEAD. I HAVE HEARD SOMEONE MENTION SKINNING IS THE EASIEST WAY BUT I HEAR THAT IT IS BETTER TO LEAVE THE HIDE ON. I THINK WE COULD GET ALOT OF INPUT FROM OUR PROS OUT THERE. RECIPES WOULD BE GREAT TOO. KINDA LIKE ROBS BEER BUTT CHICKEN..HE HE. laugh WE ALL LIVE IN DIFFERENT AREAS AND PROBABLY HAVE EXCELLENT IDEAS. smile

#61382 - 09/09/02 03:21 AM Re: New topic area....
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Yes, Lee, this might be a good idea for the board, that is, having a 'poultry preparation' topic to cover from the coop to the kitchen.

#61383 - 09/09/02 04:47 AM Re: New topic area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi thats a great idea would make a more complete board and you can't have to many good chicken recipes .

#61384 - 09/09/02 04:59 AM Re: New topic area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Big Boy I like what you called it "From the Coop to the Kitchen" That would make a catchie title for the forum. :rolleyes: I would really benifit from a forum of this type. Because in about a month I'm going to butcher my buffs cause that is why I bought them. My husbands likes them so much now though he said he wasn't going to help me and he's the farm boy and I'm the city girl. :p

#61385 - 09/09/02 06:07 AM Re: New topic area....
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Hey: I gotta go with that one too "From the Coop th the Kitchen". I forsee this a a most attractive, active topic. This is already, by far, the best poultry forum on the web, this could be the coop de eatat!

#61386 - 09/09/02 07:05 AM Re: New topic area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey! I ditto 'From the Coop to the Kitchen!! kinda snappy! I could have used this earlier in the year!!! lol

#61387 - 09/09/02 07:09 AM Re: New topic area....
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Count me in on being interested in this also!

Susie

#61388 - 09/09/02 07:24 AM Re: New topic area....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll draw the attention of the folks at headquarters to this idea, which I thik is a good one too. Thanks for the suggestion.

#61389 - 09/09/02 06:03 PM Re: New topic area....
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Gosh, is that response or what! I cant believe this wont get a workout. Ready for the beer but chicken recipe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn