Topic Options
#61605 - 11/19/03 01:45 PM muskrat onaplank
Anonymous
Unregistered

NOw, I don't know what a musk rat is, but it must be pretty powerful stuff...I was thinking that if Leee got REALLY stuck for something to feed those boys of his, he could slaughter and old, old roo and try this one! wink

Caramelised Muskrat onaplank.
serves 4

1 fresh muskrat (road kill)
1 HIckory plank (slightly larger than the muskrat)
1Tbsp cooking oil
1tsp salt
2 green onions
1dsp pepper
1Tbsp fish sauce

Skin the muskrat and discard the skin (can be saved and tanned for leather)

Nail the muskrat to the hickory plank, carfully stretching out.

CHop the green onion fine

Heat the oil in a 2 quart pot, then add the onion and the remaining ingrediants

Saute, stirring constantly tillt he sauce is done (about 5 mins)

Place planked muskrat in a large pot, add 4 cups of water and simmer uncovered on medium heat for one hour.

Add the fish sauce and continue to simmer for one more hour. Most of the water will be absorbed by the muskrat, and the remainder will be slightly thick.Be careful not to burn it.

Remove the muskrat from the pot carefully. Separate the muskrat from the plank, and place the meat to one side.

Pour the sauce from the pot over the plank. Totally discard the muskrat and eat the plank.

Serve hot as a main dish with lots of rice.

laugh

#61606 - 11/19/03 02:00 PM Re: muskrat onaplank
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can't stop laughing! Sounds like the recipe came from an old mountain mans' diary. heeeheeeheegigglegiggle. -Cedewynne

#61607 - 11/19/03 02:51 PM Re: muskrat onaplank
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
If the plank is still a little chewy, can you nail the musk rat on it again and cook it a bit longer? laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

#61608 - 11/21/03 10:01 PM Re: muskrat onaplank
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose you could, or perhaps you could finish it off in the SuzyFryer? The same site i got this recipe off has a recipe for french fried skunk, Minderbinder (worth a look), parrot pie, and others that are not quite so...ummm...well...different.. This is the URL for it http://www.recipesource.com/misc/weird/
Cheers
Faith

#61609 - 11/22/03 07:46 AM Re: muskrat onaplank
Richard Knauber Offline
Chick

Loc: Tennessee
This is quite funny! On a more serious note, I have eaten muskrat several times when I was younger. Friend of mine ran trap lines every winter. He would clean and freeze muskrat and have a big "muskrat bbq" around new years. Actually were pretty tasty. His dad was an old backwoods southern good old boy and could cook almost anything and make it tasty. From what I remember they would parboil the 'rats, then brown them in a rich smoky sauce and finish them in the oven. Very tender and sort of bbq beefy flavored.
We also sampled coon, possum(hate possum!) beaver and even ate some fox one time. Can't recommend fox, terribly strong and chewy. Reminded me off what eating a pekinesse dog must be like.... My uncle used to cook beaver on a spit over nice hardwood fire. It was very good but looked like a dog spinning around roasting!

Richard in TN

#61610 - 11/22/03 01:04 PM Re: muskrat onaplank
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sis ... a muskrat looks like a large brown sea-going rat. They live in ponds, creeks (pronounced cricks) and people used to trap them for their fur. They make lodges out of big piles of brush, such as cattails. Not neat and clever like beavers, but sort of an upside down rat's nest. As far as eating them ... I'm surprised no one said they taste just like chicken!
ann

#61611 - 11/29/03 06:56 AM Re: muskrat onaplank
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
I'll have to try the Gallimimus (Chicken Mimic) Does it taste like chicken, though?

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn