Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#61650 - 08/15/09 04:09 PM Re: peeling eggs
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Never an end to our different ways of peeling hardboiled eggs, but some of us do it daily. I boil a dozen or so eggs at a time, the oldest ones in my fridge, sometimes 8-10 weeks old. They are started in cold water and boiled at least 20 minutes, heat (electric stove) turned down a little, after a good rolling boil. Sometimes I forget them and they boil almost dry--or dry and I hear or smell them from another room! Quick save!! Put in the sink under cold running water while I do "something else"--surely sometimes 10 minutes, (I do not have to buy water--deep well). Drain off water and put in a bowl, not covered, in the fridge.

My dog gets one a day, chopped on his dinner kibble--gives me a "look", if I offer his food without the egg! No problems peelng, but I crack all around and usually start at the large end, seems to get under the innermost membrane easier, from the air space. Older eggs have a larger air space. Older eggs also have the yolk on one side, so don't peel into it. And they are still as good as a fresh egg, boiled--sometimes slip one into a salad or egg salad sandwich! Eggs are truly a good food and I like them any way they are prepared--(raw is not prepared, and I decline to eat one raw) but there are those who DO!!!!!

laugh laugh laugh CJR

#61651 - 08/16/09 12:02 AM Re: peeling eggs
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
All I have on hand are fresh eggs. Rarley do I boil them. When I do, they are stinkers to peel. Until today.... Boiled some fresh eggs, turned them off, left them sitting in their pot of hot water because I got distracted by something. Hubby crawled under a jacked-up horse trailer only to have the trailer come off the jack. No one was hurt, but it made a heck of a bang and I had to make sure our life insurance policy was in order. You know, priorities. THen I had to lecture him on the proper use of a jack and the stupidity of wedging himself into dangerous places! Sheesh, men!

BY the time everything was blown over and settled down, the eggs had been sitting in their water for almost two hours. The water was room temp. Without running them under cold water I just whacked them with a spoon, opened at fat end, slipped a teaspoon in and peeled those shells off lickety split. I have never had fresh eggs peel like that before! NO cold water whatsoever. Maybe the problem is that we rush. Let em sit. No salt, no soda, no vinegar, just eggs sitting there whle Hubby flattens himself in the driveway.

Oh, about boiling eggs for 15 or 20 minutes, YIKES! eek I set mine on in cold water, bring to boil, boil for 4 minutes, turn element OFF but leave them on the element for another 10 minutes in hot but not boiling water.(then I normally put them in cold water) They are hard boiled without the dark rings around the yolk which mean they were over boiled. BUt from now on I'll put them on to boil and ask Hubby to run some vehicle up a jack...it helps me peel perfect eggs.

#61652 - 08/17/09 06:31 AM Re: peeling eggs
Geezer Offline
Bantam

Loc: Florida
Seems I had tried that but can't remember with all the things suggested I have some fresh ones I will try it with.. Of course I am usually in a hurry to put them in a salad or something so I use th cold water.. My daughter suggested to try keeping them a few days at room temp. then boiling, I will try that too.. I usually just bting to a boil and set aside for a while. the water is still near 212f (boiling) even if it isn't bubbling..

#61653 - 08/17/09 11:44 AM Re: peeling eggs
Geezer Offline
Bantam

OK tried it!!! laugh it does seem to have helped.. I wouldn't say lickety split but was much easier. Can't get the spoon to help tho. mad

#61654 - 08/17/09 11:47 AM Re: peeling eggs
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Practice with different size spoons; it really works once you find one with the right curvature.

#61655 - 08/19/09 06:59 AM Re: peeling eggs
Geezer Offline
Bantam

Hey ipf. I tried boiling some yesterday again mid afternoon. I have an electric stove. I shut the stove off as soon as the water boiled and left the pot on the same burner with the lid on. I intended to come back in 2-3 hours but forgot them. I got up this morning, and there they were. I started peeling them. They were mostly about 6 days old. Some were the same day and in between.

I tried the spoon and tried different sizes. I found one that worked best but still not great. Then I started at the pointy end. They peel much better from the pointy end. The spoon that worked the best was quite small. It was from when my grandchildren were just learning to use one. I think it may have been because it was thinner (sharper) at its point. Or maybe it is just the "right" one.

I have one more thing I want to try maybe this weekend.

#61656 - 08/19/09 04:12 PM Re: peeling eggs
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Interesting about the pointy end. Yes, definitely, sharper spoons work better. I like your practical attitude to science!

#61657 - 08/19/09 10:47 PM Re: peeling eggs
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Ahh...so the secret is the spoon!

#61658 - 08/20/09 04:30 AM Re: peeling eggs
Geezer Offline
Bantam

Well the spoon does seem 2 help but I think it is the slow cooling process. They peel easier by just fingers too. The shells seem tobe looser. On the ones that don't peel as well either with the spoon or just fingers some of the white is lost, but I found that by switching to the small end when I encountered a tough to peel one it made it mush easier so I now peel from the small end only..

#61659 - 09/16/09 04:50 AM Re: peeling eggs
Geezer Offline
Bantam

Back again :rolleyes: nothing seems to work with day old eggs however for me several tablespoons of salt makes peeling eggs as new as 5 to 7 days old much easier. But still the older the better.. smile

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn