Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#61660 - 09/24/09 12:05 AM Re: peeling eggs
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Ah Geezer, never have truer words been spoke...the older the better! I feel very strongly about this, especially since I am seeing the long side of my 40th birthday and a looming 50th in a few years! Yes, the older the better!

#61661 - 09/24/09 11:52 PM Re: peeling eggs
Rook-a-dook Offline
New Egg

Loc: Australia
I don't keep eggs longer than about a week, so my boiled eggs are always relatively fresh.
I find if I empty the hot water from the pot, and then fill it with cold water, I can start peeling immediately.
I crack the egg on each end, then along the length. I peel the eggs under the water in the pot, the water seems to help a lot.
If I come to a sticky bit, I simply drop it back into the pot of water, and start on another one, then come back to it.

#61662 - 09/25/09 01:17 PM Re: peeling eggs
Geezer Offline
Bantam

Loc: Florida
Uno, I agree with you to a point. (I am past that point.) I don't even remember 50! Shucks, sometimes I can't remember yeaterday, but then I guess that's good sometimes, too.

Rook A, I find 10 days old is the youngest I want to try. I have tried the under water and also under running water doesn't do anything for me.

#90654 - 07/28/10 11:20 AM Re: peeling eggs [Re: Geezer]
Squid Offline
New Egg

Loc: SE Wisconsin
Eggs don't stay too long at my house, we go through at least 4 doz a week. Therefore the eggs we boil are fairly fresh. What I have found that works the best is to set the eggs on the counter the night before boiling. Even if you don't set them out, you can boil them in salt water and by salt water I mean ocean style salt water. Boil, cool and peel them as usual. This has always worked for me.

I have been told the salt penetrates into the shell and keeps the membrane from sticking to the shell. Not sure if that's true, but it does work well.

#90676 - 07/29/10 09:11 PM Re: peeling eggs [Re: Squid]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Squid
I have been told the salt penetrates into the shell and keeps the membrane from sticking to the shell. Not sure if that's true, but it does work well.

Do you mean "sticking to the egg" rather than the shell, Squid? If so it is easy to go back into your thread via edit and change the word and click change post

Edited by Foehn (07/29/10 09:12 PM)

#90683 - 07/30/10 04:16 PM Re: peeling eggs [Re: Foehn]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I have had great success from a previous post about this subject. Steam the eggs like you would steam vegetables. Doesn't matter how fresh they are, they peel easily.

#90895 - 08/05/10 08:00 PM Re: peeling eggs [Re: Maria Ricardo]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Steam an egg? I have never considered that. I am going to try it right now!

#101288 - 01/06/12 10:54 PM Re: peeling eggs [Re: J. Waller]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Peeling HB eggs seems to be a perpetual problem for some folks.
For those who have trouble, have you tried the "EGGIES", the little containers that you crack your egg in before hard or soft boiling? No shells to peel. I don't want any more little junk to wash or store, but someone may like them? I HB more than a dozen bantam eggs at a time--several weeks old--so peel one every day for my little dog, and chop it in his dinner. And it is nice to make several dozen deviled bantam eggs for potlucks. Bite sized, they disappear quickly! Love those eggs! CJR

#102775 - 03/11/12 06:28 PM Re: peeling eggs [Re: CJR]
Christie_Rhae Offline
New Egg

Loc: Hawaii
I have discovered the way to hard boil and easily peel eggs the day they were laid.
Get your water boiling, use a ladle and carefully place each egg in the boiling water.
Boil 15 minutes. As soon as done ladle each egg into a big bowl of ice water. Let them cool completely. Peel right away. I peel all the eggs and store them in zip lock bags. With this technique you will not have that grey layer on the yolk... perfect and yellow and egg shells slipped off easily.

#110369 - 08/18/13 07:14 PM Re: peeling eggs [Re: Chickie Mom]
KathyL Offline
Feather

Loc: Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Chickie Mom
I boil all the eggs with the little hairline cracks in them fresh from the hen house. Not the ones that are leaking obviously, but the ones with the little tiny cracks. For some reason, those peel just fine even if boiled the same day. I think a small amount of the water must come between the shell and the egg enough to peel it perfectly. And yes, I chill them very well before I peel, too.

I always take a spoon and tap a small crack in the egg. They peel beautifully, every time. Even with fresh eggs.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn