Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#61975 - 04/05/04 04:26 PM Deviled Eggs. What's your favorite recipe?
Larissa Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Oregon
Easter is coming and I'm stocking up to make a big batch of deviled eggs.

smile

I have a basic recipes and one from my grandma that includes dill pickle juice, but I'm curious to hear what other peoples favorite recipes and ingredients are....

So, fellow chicken people, you ought to know. What makes the best deviled eggs?

#61976 - 04/05/04 07:33 PM Re: Deviled Eggs. What's your favorite recipe?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like deviled eggs with some bite. So, here is my recipe.

12 steamed eggs (for 30 minutes) cool, peel, cut in half and out the yolks in a large bowl.

To the yolks add:

1. Miracle Whip (although I like real mayonasse better, Miracle Whip works very well in this recipe). Mix big spoon fulls of Miracle Whip until a slushy consistency is evident.

2. Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and one tablespoon of sugar (add more sugar at the end to suit your taste).

3. Mustard. A primary bite component. I want it to bite me. I add mustard powder until I get the bite I want.

4. Grate a palm-full of onion and add (more bite). If you add too much onion for your taste, put in microwave for a few seconds to neutralize some of the onion taste.

5. Dill. THis is very important. Sprinkle a significant cover of dill weed. Taste. Dill weed in this recipe is rather subtile so taste it as you go.

6. Pepper to suit your taste. NO SALT.

Adjust all these ingredient amounts to suit your taste. If you get too much vinegar, add more sugar; too much onion, microwave for a few seconds, too much mustard, Baby, you're stuck with that.

Fill the egg white halves with the goo. If you want some red color on the top, sprinkle on some tasteless paprika. I swear that stuff has no taste at all. If you want some more spicey, add some dashes of tobasco.

Yummy. Dining at its finest...

#61977 - 04/06/04 04:53 AM Re: Deviled Eggs. What's your favorite recipe?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like to mix in mayo, some brown spicy mustard and horseradish fresh grated from the garden laugh . A few cranks of fresh ground black pepper and I am in heaven. I make egg salad in same way.
Lee, I can't wait to try the dill. I hope to have fresh dill from my herb garden to use when the sun finaly decides to shine. Cedewynne

#61978 - 04/06/04 06:01 AM Re: Deviled Eggs. What's your favorite recipe?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Never had deviled eggs made with dill pickles or onions so I can't comment on that... BUT... I do like mine made with Mt Olive no sugar added sweet relish with a little added mustard and mayo. Sprinkle a little pepper and paprika on the top and walla!! A dish fit for a king!
I don't like dill but I'm going to try the added onions. Sounds interesting!!!

#61979 - 04/06/04 09:40 AM Re: Deviled Eggs. What's your favorite recipe?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love reading everybody's different recipes! Great tips/ideas. I'm planning on serving a tray of deviled eggs for Easter, using my old tried and true:

boil the eggs slowly - this helps cut the green from appearing.

To the hard yolks, add mayonaisse, ketchup, spicy brown mustard, pepper - all to your taste. You can fill a frosting bag with this mixture to get fancy swirls of your yolk filling, if you want, or just use a good ol' spoon. Fill eggs and sprinkle dill weed over the yolk mounds.

I like to serve baby carrots, grape tomatoes, diced cucumbers and sweet onion on a bed of baby spinach in the center of the platter; it adds color and some like to add their deviled egg to top their "salad". A balsamic vinegrette makes a nice dressing to finish it off.

#61980 - 04/06/04 02:38 PM Re: Deviled Eggs. What's your favorite recipe?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lee,
I see that you are a believer of Steamed eggs now. I also will try your receipe for devil eggs this Easter. Thanks Mike

#61981 - 04/06/04 07:56 PM Re: Deviled Eggs. What's your favorite recipe?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I actually put dill pickles and onion in mine. I mince those two in a food processer - very fine. Mayo and regular yellow mustard are musts in my book. And the colorful sprinkle on top in my house is cayenne pepper. Mmmm.

Susie

#61982 - 04/06/04 10:00 PM Re: Deviled Eggs. What's your favorite recipe?
Anonymous
Unregistered

FancyFree - steaming is the only way to go. No matter how you boil and after-treat super fresh eggs, they just won't peel like they do when you steam them for 1/2 an hour. Was that you that posted the steaming technique? I read it here first. Steaming gives me great results EVERY time.

#61983 - 04/06/04 10:15 PM Re: Deviled Eggs. What's your favorite recipe?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Especialy in spring when they first are up, I ALWAYS add finely chopped parsley and chives-- (along with most of the other ingredients listed above!) No reason they must be the same every time. CJR

And Leee, my guess is that you have never used Fresh Paprika (it gets flavorless with age). Hungarian meat dishes would not be the same without Paprika!

#61984 - 04/06/04 10:24 PM Re: Deviled Eggs. What's your favorite recipe?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you CJR, nice to see you again.

I spent the spring of 1982 in Budapest, Hungary (during the Falklands war).

I have had VERY fresh paprika, and it just doesn't have any taste. Not only that, I smuggled some Hungarian paprika seeds home with me and grew my own Hungarian paprika. Nothing. No taste at all. It's like egg-plant. Lovely fruit and absolutely no taste what so ever. (Fried eggplant is just a silly excuse to eat fried batter. No flavor at all from the eggplant. But the flowers are really lovely and the purple fruit are gorgeous. Too bad there is nothing to do with them. You want some flavor, grow some okra and fry that. Or just eat the okra raw, which is my favorite way - I always had a hard time getting back to the house with okra (and asparagus too).)

My challege to paprika lovers is to do a blind-fold test. Taste deviled eggs with and without paprika, blindfolded. You can't taste the difference. And I'll bet on that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box