Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#62023 - 12/03/08 09:25 PM Re: Cool Down Time before Freezing
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
The rooster was a white Rock x lt Brahma, 9 months old. Mighty chewy. I will try the next one marinated with papaya that may tenderize satisfactorily. I like the rock recipe.

#62024 - 12/04/08 10:19 AM Re: Cool Down Time before Freezing
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Never dreamed anyone would eat a Pukeko--- like our Common Coots--that are not even barely edible unless you were starving! HA, but I don't fancy the river rock, either, however long simmered in rooster marinade.! But thanks for the recipe! CJR

#62025 - 12/08/08 02:49 AM Re: Cool Down Time before Freezing
Htul Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by BC Breeder:
Is it the stress of the car ride that is reducing the meat quality? The killing method? Or is it the difference in refrigeration times? They use an electical stunner and bleedout, I use decapitation. The licenced facility birds flash cool and go in the freezer the same day they were processed. Mine are cooled slower and sit in the fridge (0.5'C) for 24-48 hours before freezing.

Somewhat along the same lines: does anybody have thoughts as to, in terms of chilling alone (I'm only referring to chilling, not freezing), as to whether it is more desirable (in terms of producing a 'less tough' chicken) to flash chill, or chill over 24-48 hours?

#62026 - 12/08/08 08:54 AM Re: Cool Down Time before Freezing
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Look back to the centuries of hunting--- and the "hanging" of the fowl (even before plucking), which is cooling, but not necessarily chilling. My father always killed the Sunday dinner rooster on Saturday morning, although, it was plucked and cleaned at that time. During the depression years, we had no refrigerator. The bird was set in the laundry trays in the basement, cool, but hardly cold, until prepared on Sunday. I can never remember a tough fowl--and still wonder about those who DO have tough birds that they raised themselves???? It is only smart to SLOW cook, covered, an old bird--and then take the meat off and chop or grind it for Pot Pies or soup!

Of course, we had "meaty" chickens, which I still call the "real" chicken (unlike factory raised) And the soft (not tender, but SOFT), chicken that is admired today, which to me, is hardly appetizing, is tasteless without salt, seasonings, crusty texture. The finest eating chicken, beef, pork, lamb, (wild--duck, goose, bison, yak, venison, elk,etc.), requires little, even no salt to reveal wonderful distinct flavor, and the neat marinades, seasonings and methods of cooking, just lend variety to a favorite menu item, and are not a necessary addition !! IMHO CJR

#62027 - 12/09/08 11:17 PM Re: Cool Down Time before Freezing
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Even if it is better to 'flash chill' does the average do- it- yourselfer have the equipment to flash chill? We have always water cooled because that's how our parent's did it and that is the only option available to us! We do not have fridge space to chill 12 or 25 birds prior to freezing. It is simply not an option for us.

We make do with what we have and what we have is cold water. And I think a cooled carcass freezes faster. Plus warm carcasses in the freezer tend to make it ice up really bad! It makes no sense to put 12 warm bodies in your freezer. Bad freezer management.

CJR, you make me chuckle. You remember all the roosters being tender, once they were ground, chopped, and pulverized. wink Tender, as long as they are not served as a Sunday roast chicken dinner. So, can you eat a rooster? Sure. Will it be like a young, plump, specifically raised and finished meat bird? Not on your life! The two cannot be compared nor can they be cooked the same way expecting the same results. But as you point out, it is most definitely doable.

#99813 - 10/29/11 01:03 AM Re: Cool Down Time before Freezing [Re: Uno]
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
i have eaten my own roasted 18 month old cornish rooster (we call them indian game here) and the skin was not good but the flesh was more very firm than tough. tough i say is so hard that you cannot chew it up. i believe in using my teeth...i have all of my teeth.

my conish we usuaally kill around 6 months old, both bantam and large but they can be older. we kill on a cool evening and hang them on the clothsline after cleaning over night. then they go in the freezer. other times if it is too warm they have to go in the fridge over night.

different breeds taste different and have different texture meat. the cornish does not have much fat bit crossed to another breed like whyndottes they can have a lot of internal fat. crossed to shamo the meat is very different. most of my birds have dark meat.

most of the birds are free range and development of meat is always good. most of the time our birds are roasted.

i feel stress is another factor which causes toughness, from being confined in over crowded conditions to bullying and unfamilia environment.

i think some people here are talking a lot of rot on toughness. but then again they may have no teeth.

#99818 - 10/29/11 08:35 AM Re: Cool Down Time before Freezing [Re: RuffEnuff]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

I agree. The poultry purchased in Super Markets is not
"meat" at all, but soft, like processed meats--flavorless without SALT and lots of seasonings! Meat of all animals is to chew! And meat has distinct wonderful flavor of the species with little seasonings, that can be varied for different recipes.
I do not purchase chicken at Super Markets (and few towns have MEAT MARKETS any longer), where some specially grown chicken might be available. MANY Years of home grown poultry has ended, as I do not butcher, and no longer have people to do it (my gamebird hunters have offered to do it, if I raise fryers/roasters again.) So, I eat very little chicken any longer (and I still have my teeth!) Tough? Grind it--lots of recipes for ground poultry.

CJR

#113697 - 01/23/15 09:48 AM Re: Cool Down Time before Freezing [Re: CJR]
OmegaBlueFarms Offline
Chick

Loc: Vancouver Island
An old topic, but after several years of marketing "heritage" poultry meat, I realize that a critical point was missed in my previous posts (bcbreeder). Cooking must be low and slow, we often roast at between 300 and 350'F. We roast until the meat pulls from the bones. This is critical. The old fashioned leg test, pull the leg and if it pulls back, the bird is still going to be tough. If it feels like you can pull the leg bone right out of the bird, you now have a juicy flavourful bird.

Here is a link to an information sheet I give my meat customers.

http://vanislepoultryconservation.org/im...l%20Chicken.pdf

www.OmegaBlueFarms.ca

#114347 - 05/06/15 04:14 PM Re: Cool Down Time before Freezing [Re: OmegaBlueFarms]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Quite timely to bring this subject up again. I'm soon to butcher some 20 week old Muscovy drakes. Any tips on cooling or plucking? And, I'd quite like to open out the birds to what I think is called "butterfly" any tips on this?

#114349 - 05/07/15 07:43 AM Re: Cool Down Time before Freezing [Re: Foehn]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Friends recently put ducks in the freezer. Plucking a duck is not the same as plucking a meat bird, especially those meat bird desgined to be easy to pluck.

TO save himself the agony of plucking, they only harvested the breast of the bird, skinless. There is very little else on the average duck carcass to make it worth the effort of plucking.

I know that Muscovies are larger and may indeed have drumsticks worth eating. But if not, you might consider simply taking the breast and not plucking at all.

As for cooling, I have nothing else to suggest other than our tried and true cold water chilling, with fresh, cold water added often to keep the temp down. You want to put COLD objects into your freezer!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn