Topic Options
#62028 - 09/11/02 08:04 PM New Topic!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

WOW!!!
I leave for a couple of days and you guys go and change the place.
I love this new area and all the great recipes. What a great idea Leee and everyone else.
Keep them coming.

I do have a question: I have too many young roos around. They are now 12 weeks old, so I will be "processing" them in about a month and a half. Does anyone have any good websites or books I can read up on the process?
I have helped with skinning and cleaning many years ago, but I have never killed anything. That is going to be the hardest part for me. I am going to need lots of help.
How does everyone kill their birds?
What about the blood? Do you let it drain on the ground, or into a container? If into a container...then what? How do you dispose of the inedible parts?
Sorry this is long, guess I had more than one question. smile
Shari

#62029 - 09/12/02 02:38 PM Re: New Topic!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shari, thank you for this thread. When I started, I carried the book out with me and tried to do exactly what Gail Damerow says in her "A Guide to Raising Chickens". My younger sister was impatient with me and just did the deed, for which I was grateful in the end.

I also read Joel Salatin's book "Pastured Poultry Profit$" and started by killing the birds as described there (hang them upside down, cut the jugular vein just south of the ear, let the bird bleed on the ground - I believe it is a pretty painless death that way, they just seem to go to sleep). I use the stump/hatchet method now and cut off the head, but I have sometimes missed and boogered up the job. I hate that. Then I hang them up on a fence to let them bleed out on the ground. I prefer to skin them to plucking and will try Susie's deep frying next time I get a batch of cockerels for the freezer.

You're supposed to make a cut and reach your hand up into the carcass and grab out the innerds, but I have a huge hand and can never do that. So, I wind up making a cut along the breast bone so I can get my hand in. Then take out the guts.

Slice the gizzard 1/2 way like a clam, and skin out the inside membrane (it's bitter, I know, I've eaten gizzards wrongly prepared (by me)). Cleaning the gizzards is kinda fun (if anything about this could be fun) because you can see what the bird was eating. Some people starve the bird for 24 hours before butchering so the intestines will be empty because they don't want any poop to spill out onto the meat. I don't worry about that anymore.

After you get started you will 'customize' your method so that it suits you best.

Good luck!
Lee

#62030 - 09/12/02 03:13 PM Re: New Topic!!
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
It's the chopping block for us. With a machette (sp?). We have an old stump and my husband made a wood "cutting board" type thing that he screwed down to the top of it. It's about waist high. Two nails driven into the top. Put the bird's head between the nails and you can stretch out their neck. He has never missed or botched it yet.

All of this is conveniently located near an old laundry line that we don't use for laundry anymore. So we hang the birds up on that, by their feet. Oh, first thing is, after the head is off they flap their wings. My husband prefers to hold them for a minute as opposed to letting them go as some will do. Letting them go (we tried that) leads to some bruising. We hang them up and let them bleed for a few minutes while we get what we need for the next steps. Some of them we pluck, some we skin. A book will give you the details on cleaning the bird and identifying any "parts" you may want to keep. We only keep livers.

I'm sure it's probably not legal but we double bag the guts and things we aren't keeping and put them out with the regular trash. I think, technically, the intestines can't be disposed of that way and probably should be buried but I don't want to attract the coyotes and other predators to the area so out with the trash they go!

The blood isn't much so we just hose the area when we're done. No big deal on that.

I know I saw a good website recently with details on butchering. I'll see if I saved it and if I did, I'll post a link in this thread later.

Susie

#62031 - 09/12/02 07:02 PM Re: New Topic!!
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thats my method too. Sometimes I stick the brain thru roof of mouth and sever the jugular while the bird hangs from line. They never even flinch and feathers come out easier. Sometimes this just GETS to me though! Jeez, I wish the neighbor would do it for me!

#62032 - 09/12/02 08:46 PM Re: New Topic!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shari, I do mine exactly the way Susie & her husband do theirs. With one small difference you may like. When the head comes off I drop it in a cone( feet up) till it bleeds out. Using a plastic bucket(similar to the large washing powder buckets you buy at Sams) put a trash bag (large leaf bags work)in it first to make it easier to clean up. Then the cone. You can make one but what works really great is those orange plastic cones that are used at road construction sites (and yes anyone can buy them). After removing the bird just hose it out at the end of the day. They last for ever. The rest of the waste goes in the same bag for disposal. Keeps the blood off the ground doesn't allow the bird to sling blood everywhere (especially your clothes).

#62033 - 09/13/02 04:50 AM Re: New Topic!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to everyone that has posted. Keep the comments and ideas coming.

I think I am going to go with the cone idea. I will be doing some large Muscovy ducks as well. The more controlled the situation the better I am sure.

Someone mentioned this board was like a 'chicken support' group. You have all become a great support to me. Thank you.
As the actual day approaches I am sure I will be calling on your support again.

Thanks,
Shari

#62034 - 09/13/02 05:02 AM Re: New Topic!!
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Shari,

Here's a website with some info and this page has links to more details I believe.
Butchering Details

Susie

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn