Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62110 - 09/10/02 03:18 PM Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can butcher chickens a lot faster if I skin them than if I pluck them. Also, my hands don't stink for a week afterward. Some people like chicken with the skin on. When I roast a bird in the oven, I have much better luck when the bird has a skin. But, what about for fried chicken? We have a fried chicken thread here but there isn't much mention of the skin. If I deep fry chicken pieces that have been skinned, will that work as well?

Obviously, you wouldn't skin your birds if you wanted to eat them cooked in a way that requires skin.

What do you think about skinning vs. not skinning when butchering?

#62111 - 09/10/02 03:23 PM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I absolutely hate plucking but do it if I want a bird to roast or put on the smoker. Otherwise we skin them and find it to be much faster and easier.

Yes, you can fry chicken without skin! Think McNugget. smile I love to cut up a boneless, skinless chicken breast, bread it and drop the pieces in the deep fryer. Mmmmm!

I grew up with my mom cutting up a whole fryer, skinning it and then doing like we were talking about -- frying it in an iron skillet. It definitely works. No problem!

Susie

#62112 - 09/10/02 03:29 PM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Susie, in your deep fat fryer, do you save the oil or use new every time? When I was a kid, Granny used the fat over and over. Nowadays, what do people do? When I fry potatoes for the kids, I strain and pour the (cool) vegetable oil back into a container to keep it for the next use.

Lee

#62113 - 09/10/02 03:47 PM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I save the oil for quite a while. If you do something that you breaded with flour (as opposed to say, a prepared frozen item), it gets a layer gunk on the bottom so I strain it after that. If I think it smells like the last thing I cooked or looks too dark, I dump it. I probably fry at least half a dozen times or so before I dump the oil, wash the thing out, and start fresh. The "Fry Daddy" and similar deep fryers are made to store the oil. They come with a rubber lid.

Susie

#62114 - 09/10/02 06:36 PM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone bake or broil chicken without the skin? I have done it in oven bags, but was not happy with the outcome. The outer layer of meat gets hard.

#62115 - 09/10/02 08:59 PM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Yes, I have been using only skinless chicken parts for many years as my husband is a health nut and therefore it is extremely rare for anything I cook to have the skin on it - although the kids and I love crispy skin!
I marinate a great deal and try not to over bake/braise/fry(although "frying" is done with no or very little oil) the parts which are overwhelmingly boneless skinless chicken breasts.
The pieces are the most moist with a slight coating on them. You can mix in a little low-fat parmesan cheese for additional flavor. Or you can make sauces and keep up with the basting. For example, tonight I made a sauce for duck with apricot preserves, honey, garlic and soy sauce. (I don't always tell my hubby what's in the sauces!)
So really, I think almost any recipe can be adapted to use skinless parts.
Linda

#62116 - 09/11/02 03:08 AM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
We skin most of the poultry because it is faster and NO pinfeathers (man, I used to hate plucking Speckled Sussex and SC Mottled Anconas, let alone Guineas frown !). We bake a lot of skinned chicken but do it by pan-frying, with a coating, and then placing in a metal pan with a thin coating of lard in the pan. It works pretty well.

#62117 - 09/17/02 08:13 PM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try wrapping it in quite fatty bacon,that works well for me,keeps the chicken moist while baking.

alan

#62118 - 09/18/02 02:04 PM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Anonymous
Unregistered

excellent suggestion, Alan. The bacon will act like an 'artificial' skin. Then what do you do with the bacon? Save it for the next day's breakfast...

so you have spaces between the strips of bacon? The bacon grease might spread enough to allow spaces between the bacon strips.

#62119 - 09/18/02 06:51 PM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

This is making me think of things I have tried with venison -- to remedy the toughness and the lack of fat (dryness).

One thing I tried, which I am anxious to now try with a skinless, tougher bird, is to smoke it. I smoked a venison brisket on my little charcoal smoker, for about 3 hours. The piece of meat was thin. It had a good smokey taste but was really tough. So I took the meat inside and put it in the crockpot. I added a mixture of half BBQ sauce and half water, sort of spread it over the brisket, and cooked it in there for about 6 more hours. It was fork tender and FABULOUS! I'm thinking of trying the same with a chicken. First on the smoker for a few hours and then cut it up, coat it with BBQ sauce & water and put it in the crock pot for a few more hours. If it works, I'll let you know!

Susie

#62120 - 09/18/02 06:56 PM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Oh, and Lee, heck no, who "saves" bacon? You eat the bacon with the meal. If you want more for breakfast, cook more bacon. LOL! laugh

Really though, we do this with venison sometimes and just eat the bacon with that meal. Mmmmmm!

Susie

#62121 - 09/19/02 09:14 PM Re: Butchering - to skin or not to skin, that is the question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will try the crock pot again, Susie, as per your suggestion. When I was married, I tried to cook home-grown poultry for my family. They didn't like it. It was too tough and strong tasting for them. My kids will eat it if I fool them (tell them it is turkey). But, I crock potted some home-grown chicken all day once and it didn't help any. Even I thought it was tough.

I will also try the fried chicken stratagies. I looked at Wally World a couple of days ago for a "fry daddy" but didn't find one. I have an egg-eating hen who doesn't lay (I isolated her) that I'm intending to use in my fried chicken experiments.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn