Topic Options
#62193 - 10/20/03 08:20 PM Meringue cookies ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tried to make chocolate meringue cookies using cocoa powder. Major flop. I added the powder while beating the egg whites and the meringue collapsed. If I want chocolate ones, how would I do this?

Also saved the yolks and told all my fruitarian family ... those yellow things in the jar in the fridge are NOT peaches!

Thanks for any help1
Ann

#62194 - 10/21/03 04:10 PM Re: Meringue cookies ...
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Try to be sure that the whites are very stiff, peaked, and shiny before adding any cocoa. Then gently fold in the cocoa a minimum amount -- until just blended, and if there are a few streaks, that is ok.

If you have already done this, and it still collapsed, I don't know. Try again and hope that the barometric pressure is more favorable.

#62195 - 10/22/03 12:52 PM Re: Meringue cookies ...
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
..... and sieve the cocoa on the whites which, like John says, should be very stiff, peaked, and shiny before adding any cocoa.

#62196 - 10/23/03 08:51 PM Re: Meringue cookies ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

OH! Okay ... got it now ...
The whole family just loves these things (last batch that turned out was strawberry/vanilla) so thanks for the advice!

Ann

#62197 - 10/24/03 07:40 AM Re: Meringue cookies ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cedewynne, thanks for the ideas!

You know at our store, a container of meringue cookies costs about US$5 eek which is why I wanted to make my own!

Ann

#62198 - 10/24/03 08:51 AM Re: Meringue cookies ...
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
So now that you are successful, what is your recipe?

#62199 - 10/25/03 07:21 AM Re: Meringue cookies ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

(This isn't an original recipe, I got it from book but as you can see I tinkered with it with mixed results.)

2-3 large egg whites (depends on size of eggs)(or 4 smallish ones)
1/8 tsp. salt (I used a pinch)
1/4 tsp. (pinch) cream of tartar

5/8 cup of sugar (sort of a long half or short 3/4 cup)(I also tried artificial sweetener. YUCK!)

1/2 tsp. of vanilla (I used a capful)
1/8 tsp. of almond extract (I used strawberry instead, drop-wise, since I did't have almond)

First I separated egg whites and yolks and let the whites warm up to room temp.

1. Beat egg whites until foamy in a small deep bowl using electric mixer
2. Add salt and C of T, beat to soft peaks (I used highest speed of my mixer)
3. Gradually beat in sugar
4. When sugar has dissolved add vanilla and almond extract. (As you know for variety I tried cocoa powder, which flopped dramatically)
5. On greased cookie sheet closely space mounds of meringue containing 1 Tbsp each. Bake for 1 hour at 225 degrees. Let the cookies cool in the oven for an hour before removing from cookie sheet.

(I'd like to add ... the long time for baking and cooling is very hard! We found if we tried to eat them too early they are like taffy and you could lose a filling! laugh )

I havne't tried hocolate ones again yet, though.
Thanks for your input!
Ann

#62200 - 10/25/03 12:17 PM Re: Meringue cookies ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've made the merigues twice at my husbands request. The last batch went on a road trip with him. Anyway, this is the recipe I had good luck with. I got it out of an OLD Family Circle Cookie and Candy cook book:

2 large egg whites( or 5 small whites) at room temperature
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1/2 cup sugar

Add salt and tarter to egg whites. Beat until foamy and doubled in size. Add sugar about a tablespoon at a time, and beat until dissolved before adding more sugar. Beat to stiff peaks. Plop onto cookie sheets and bake 225 for 2 hours. They come out dry but just a little chewy in the middle. They dissappear into thin air.
Cedewynne

#62201 - 10/26/03 03:07 PM Re: Meringue cookies ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fat free, too ... I supposed since they are mostly air and not much sugar and no shortening they must be pretty lo-cal. But not low carb ...

My SIL had some lessons about Easter that went with this but I can't find it. Something about putting them in the oven overnight, which related to Jesus' being in the grave. I will have to ask her about this. They were in Russia for years but I don't know if it was a Russian thing.

Thanks for your recipe!
Ann

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn