Topic Options
#62355 - 09/19/02 06:30 PM tough meat
Anonymous
Unregistered

We ate one of our Cornish roosters tonight and it was very tough. He was very lean also, no fat. I am assuming that was why it was tough. What can I add to the diet to add fat? The flavor was great! I stuffed it with tangeringes, an apple, celery and an onion slice.

#62356 - 09/19/02 08:46 PM Re: tough meat
Anonymous
Unregistered

How old was he? I read somewhere here that if you let them get over a certain age they are tough. As for fat, corn will make them fat, I read(here again, this is a great forum to get info!), that scratch is not the best thing for them in large quantities, it also adds fat. Hope this helps, I am a newbie, you will probably get better info from others.

#62357 - 09/19/02 09:17 PM Re: tough meat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jennifer, take a look at the "Butchering" thread, there is some talk there about tough meat.

Lee

#62358 - 09/20/02 08:49 AM Re: tough meat
Anonymous
Unregistered

The rooster was about 5 mos. old. Lee, how do you look up threads? Im new to the computer stuff. Thanks

#62359 - 09/20/02 09:25 AM Re: tough meat
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You can also "bone" any tough meat and run it through the foodchopper, and use it like burger with whatever fillers (ei.,eggs) and seasonings that you like. CJR

#62360 - 09/20/02 09:34 AM Re: tough meat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jennifer, in this "Processing & Cooking Poultry" section is a discussion on butchering.. I believe that's what Leee was talking about...
After butchering, how long did you let it "age"? it usually takes 12-24 hours for rigor-mortis to run it's course and the muscles to relax... though I've often heard of people killing a hen for sunday supper on the same day and it turning out alright.. I guess it would then just depend on how you cook it...
We did a bunch of Cornish X's from 5 weeks to 12 weeks and 'aged' for 12 hours before freezing.. though at 5 months, maybe a longer roast time would work...? smile

#62361 - 09/20/02 09:42 AM Re: tough meat
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't "age" this one. The last one I put in cold water but maybe not long enough. I didnt know you had to "age" them. My husband would be happy not to eat 'leather'!

#62362 - 09/25/02 06:54 AM Re: tough meat
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Cochima, I had just re-read your post before I phoned my Mom and was reminiscing over the olden days. Dad would pick up a bunch of SC White Leghorn cockerels from the local hatchery at 1 cent apiece and we would raise them for fryers. Many a time we would come home from church, change clothes and butcher three or four of these cockerels for Sunday dinner while Mom and the other children were peeling potatoes for hot and fluffy mashed potatoes, snapping green beans, stirring up biscuits, tossing a fresh garden salad, etc. The fryers were killed, plucked, eviscerated, cut-up, and placed in the frying pan and we always had lunch by 1:30PM. I think that we just accepted tough(er) chicken because that was the way it was. It always tasted good, as I recall, and there were no complaints about the work of preparing them for the table (or the gravy that accompanied them, either).

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn