Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62522 - 11/01/02 03:24 PM 3.5 pound cockerels....
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a pen full of 3-3&1/2 pound cockerels. Must be 60 or so .... I normally don't butcher such young birds, but I need the space and I hate to feed these boys any longer.

So, today I butchered 4 of them .... although the drumsticks are still on the slight side, the breasts are full....the livers and gizzards, which I have already eaten (yum!) were really good!

It is my weekdend with the kids so I will fry up some legs. I fillet'd the breast meat for cooking later.

I believe that truly good fried chicken is hard to accomplish. CJR, Anny, please tell me your secrets!

Lee

#62523 - 11/01/02 06:51 PM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the legs and breast fillets in the fridge right now. I made noodle soup with the stewed carcasses....I don't know what to call them... the red skeletons *LOL*.

The noodle soup is wondeful as always. I will fry the legs/thighs (I'm an incurable leg-man) tomorrow for the kids.

We'll see how it goes....

Lee

#62524 - 11/02/02 03:40 AM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am posting about this so much because I am a single parent of two young boys and cutting expenses is a must for me. I have several breeding programs, a flock of 300 or so laying hens, young cockerels from all our hatching and spent hens to deal with - and if I deal with them effectively it will help defer expenses by providing food for us, if I can cook them to suit my kids!

#62525 - 11/03/02 08:35 AM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I glad to hear I'm not the only one who butchers some of the cockerals early. I did a few early this year to thin out the pen. My husband and I joked about how scrawny they were next to the cornish crosses we had butchered last year. But those cockerals still tasted good. Not much goes to waste around here either (but I will say that neither my husband or myself are a fan of organ meat. mostly we share those with the resident turkey vulture population. The neighbors joke about our "bird feeder". I love to see those huge birds sunning themselves on the pasture fence. LOL!)

#62526 - 11/03/02 11:11 AM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for your post, BlueDog. The fried chicken was a great success - I'll post something on the fried chicken thread.

Lee

#62527 - 11/28/02 02:20 PM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
Anonymous
Unregistered

how did you attract the buzzards? i saw a young male (?) roosting around looking at my pheasants.
what does that feeder look like?

#62528 - 11/29/02 12:46 PM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
I don't know about your buzzards, but here they kill chickens! eek

#62529 - 11/29/02 01:09 PM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Anny, The Buzzards of England and Europe are several kinds of our Hawks. Our "Buzzards" (Turkey or Black Buzzards) should really be called Vultures (Turkey Vultures or Black Vultures). But we all have local or common names we call our familiar plants, animals, birds, trees, etc. The "Cedar" is one of those. It just depend upon where you live--and so we must remain curious and search for "the name" we are referring to!! Vultures are always thought of as carrion feeders, but they do take other small animals and birds. They are rare where I live, but last year, a flight of 17 Turkey Vultures flew over several days in a row during fall migration. That was a sight to remember! CJR

#62530 - 11/29/02 01:21 PM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
Thank you, Jean, it's so confusing!! confused
Now what do you call our hawks??? laugh

#62531 - 11/29/02 03:51 PM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
Anonymous
Unregistered

a young vulture. appeared to be a male by the blocky shape of the head.
this is a turkey vulture he has weak claws and less of a beak than the black vulture, which could kill something.
I think he was looking at a pheasant- i have one that looks a little like a raptor especially in molt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn