Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#62532 - 11/29/02 07:12 PM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Anny, Your Buzzard is a (Buteo buteo). The Buteo family have rounded wings and usually shorter banded tails. You also have the Rough legged Buzzard, our Rough legged Hawk (Buteo lagopos). We have a number of other Buteos, Ferruginous, White-tailed, Red-tailed, Swainson's Hawks. They are regionally distributed. We have lots of other Hawks (Kites, Eagles, Osprey, Harriers) of other families, the Accipitors--fast, pointed wings, longer tails, a number of sizes. such as Goshawk, Coopers, Northern Goshawk (very large) and very small hawks, such as Falcons, like your Kestrels and ours, and others! In the Plains and especially in Canada, these various Hawks live, in summer, on Ground Squirrels and other rodents, and are important control species. I do not want to get in a discussion about Hawks and chickens! I enjoy both. CJR

#62533 - 11/30/02 12:25 PM Re: 3.5 pound cockerels....
Anny Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Belgium
Thanks again, Jean. You have many more wild species left than we do, I enjoy them too - I love to watch the sparrow hawk when it freezes in one spot in the air, just before diving to attack - although I think it's not normal to have buzzards and foxes in the city.
To think of it, there is a colony of parakeets (released from fairgrounds) in the nearby forest - mainly green beech. They have survived some harsh winters a couple of years ago, wonder how they adapted so well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn