Topic Options
#6254 - 02/21/06 10:59 PM "Layer Feed" for chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it okay to give "Layer feed" to baby chicks, supplemented with other food?

Yesterday I got 6 baby chicks. First I gave them the Woodland chick scratch I had on hand, (ingredients: ground corn, oil) then I read "not a complete food". So, I also gave them Purina Country Flock Layer "complete feed for laying chickens". The babies seem to like the layer feed more than the corn chick scratch.

Is the combination of these 2 feeds healthy for baby chicks? I would buy a "complete feed" especially for chicks if that is what's they need. But if it's okay then I'll continue...

#6255 - 02/22/06 07:50 AM Re: "Layer Feed" for chicks?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
If you want good results use the feed which is made for them , chick starter, medicated is what I recommend.

#6256 - 02/22/06 08:54 AM Re: "Layer Feed" for chicks?
Spotted Tail Offline
Bantam

Loc: Minnesota
No. Layer isn't good for chicks.
It's a calcium issue.

Use un-medicated Starter for chicks in a clean environment.
Medicated Starter for not so clean.

Good luck!

#6257 - 02/22/06 09:09 AM Re: "Layer Feed" for chicks?
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
I recommend you use medicated chick starter whether you consider your environment "clean" or "not so clean." One they get a little older, you can switch to a grower feed until they begin laying.

#6258 - 02/22/06 10:23 AM Re: "Layer Feed" for chicks?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think the medicated or non issue stems from(ignorance of), not understanding the total issue, it makes sense to use the best or as an alternative, find another hobby!

#6259 - 02/22/06 11:35 AM Re: "Layer Feed" for chicks?
Smoky73 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Colorado
As you can see, whether or not to feed a medicated chick starter comes down to personal preference and can easily lead to disagreements as to which is "better". Use your own judgement, if you do okay with non-medicated, great, if you can only get medicated, thats okay too. Just depends which you rather and which you have readily available in your area. I can get both, and have used both. Right now I am using game bird starter, which is medicated, cause all the game bird starter in my area is medicated. I have used unmedicated chick starter also in the past, with no ill effects.
But the question you asked is if layer feed or scratch is okay for chicks, and the answer is, both are not okay for chicks. Go get some starter...whatever kind you desire!

#6260 - 02/22/06 02:30 PM Re: "Layer Feed" for chicks?
Scratch Offline
Bantam

Loc: United Kingdom
Layer feed may lead to early death. It has about three times the percentage of calcium required by chicks and prolonged use will cause kidney failure as they grow.I'm not sure what medicated means in your country but a coccidiostat is important for all chicks which have access to faeces. Antibiotics should only be used as treatment for known disease.

#6261 - 02/22/06 03:19 PM Re: "Layer Feed" for chicks?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for all the helpful advice. I'll go pick up some starter food.

#6262 - 02/28/06 12:28 PM Re: "Layer Feed" for chicks?
J. Waller Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Minnesota
I don't approve of using 'medicated' feeds generally speaking. But do use medicated feed for starter chicks as well as calves on milk replacer to be sure they have a developed immune system and have antibodies for my environment.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn