Topic Options
#62668 - 01/17/05 09:44 PM 20 roosters in 6 hours
Diana Jean Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Hi everybody,
Processing and Cooking Poultry was where I was first drawn in by the-coop. I never thought I would be able to eat anything that I had fed. Well, we had 55 roosters in our flock that were doing a lot of ruckusing so my fella decided it was time for them to go. Being the very efficient fella that he is, he took a stump into the coop, set it next to two cages of roos and got to work. He talked to the roos as he worked, held them by the legs, pulled down their wings so that he held them too, asked them to hold still (which most of them did), and chop! What I got out of that is that I CAN EAT something that I have fed. It wasn't so bad, and I think that we will be sending away for turkeys for Thanksgiving and some big meat chickens too. It was 55 bantum mix roosters that were done-in. They will feed the dogs. My fella had them chopped, plucked, and gutted in under 6 hours. Not too bad, and not as ghastly as I would have expected. He did let suspected pets go -- for awhile at least. I've read this forum and thought I could never "do that"! But I do think I will be able to. I so much enjoy this site! laugh
DianaJean

#62669 - 01/20/05 04:06 PM Re: 20 roosters in 6 hours
Cody Offline
Feather

Loc: Arkansas
Hi DJ,

Did you scauld them before you plucked them? If you did, how about that smell! Pretty rank, but doesn't it make the plucking oh so easy! laugh

#62670 - 01/22/05 03:28 PM Re: 20 roosters in 6 hours
Diana Jean Offline
Chicken

Hi Cogburn,
Well, He scaulded them first, and yes! The smells were not so great! Ugh! I think the head-chopping was the easiest part! Agh! But, it's all been a learning experience, so it was really okay. Yep, the plucking seemed not to be a problem at all. Just time consuming. Good thing they were small birds! Enjoy!
wink

#62671 - 01/24/05 09:22 PM Re: 20 roosters in 6 hours
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi DJ,
Don't sell the bantam crosses short! May not be tons of meat to eat but they sure are tasty!! Slow cook them in the roaster with potatoes and onions and carrots, season to taste and next day you have a feast!!(not the dogs) LOL.
We had to catch a family of wanton pot belly pigs this past week-end. Pot belly pigs? you say? ewwww...however, the young ones were as tender as suckling lamb and the adults were young too and will soon supply another feast!! Never look a gift horse in the mouth wink
Sally

#62672 - 01/27/05 05:43 PM Re: 20 roosters in 6 hours
Diana Jean Offline
Chicken

Hi Sally,
Thanks for the info. We still have lots in the freezer which I plan on making into soup, and etcetera! It's great to be a little more self sufficient! Potbellied pigs! Something new everytime I visit this site! Enjoy!
laugh DianaJean

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn