Topic Options
#62710 - 09/09/02 07:30 PM Buff Orphingtons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok i got 11 Buffs cause I heard that they were good eating (ummm) :p and make a bird about 7 lbs. I have also heard that they should be butchered about 8 weeks and that these are roasting hens, so bake them only? smile

#62711 - 09/10/02 03:11 AM Re: Buff Orphingtons
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Standard Buffs don't get that big in 8 weeks (I wish!). They make a fairly decent fryer at 8-10 weeks but aren't really 'sized-up' until about 16 weeks (size dependent on what you want). We skin virtually all our birds, wash them in cold water, placing the parts in cold water after dis-jointing them, then let them soak in cold salt-water in the fridge for 24 hours, afterwards packaging them as we want to use them. Buffs have been about the easiest to butcher (except the Cornish crosses) and the old hens make superior stewers.

#62712 - 09/10/02 03:57 AM Re: Buff Orphingtons
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
I agree that I would also wait until about 16 weeks. And don't expect to see what you get with a store-bought bird. Yours will have less meat, but they will be great! One of the reasons Buffs make a good meat bird is because they pluck nicely. We pluck some and skin some, depending on what we plan to do with each bird.

We butchered some barred rocks at 10 weeks once and they tend to be a little larger than orpingtons. Boy, when we plucked those boys, I felt GUILTY! LOL! There was just nothing there and it wasn't worth all the work! They looked like skinny, naked babies.

Susie

#62713 - 09/10/02 04:28 AM Re: Buff Orphingtons
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Susie is right about the Buffs being easier to pluck than some others. Don't know why that is but we have observed this as well. Some breeds are diappointing: they look so good and they pluck (and yield) so poorly. One fowl that have amazed me are the OEG standards. They have a nice
yield in breast meat, in fact, the all-over meat yield was astonishing the first time I dressed the extras. Tough birds do well when disjointed and fried 'til just done and then baked in a slow oven after being covered in a sauce of cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 & 1/2 with just a bit of butter and sauteed, fresh-chopped onion with a sprinkle of fresh-chopped parsley. Cover the pieces with foil and then take the foil off the last half hour of baking and spread toasted and buttered croutons over the top and finish baking.

#62714 - 09/10/02 05:01 AM Re: Buff Orphingtons
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Oh wow, BigBoy! I haven't even had breakfast yet and now I'm wanting to go fry some chicken! What a great sounding recipe!! I'm printing that one out.

Susie

#62715 - 09/10/02 06:42 AM Re: Buff Orphingtons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok Big Boy.. I'm nominating you 'Coop de Chef"!! I'm also printing out that recipe and I wish it was dinnertime instead of breakfast!! laugh

#62716 - 09/10/02 08:21 AM Re: Buff Orphingtons
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Thank you for the Nom de plume. I would add a variation in which pre-cooked dried rice is lightly browned in two tbsp of melted butter in which 3-4 sliced shallots, a chopped red pepper (I use Joe E. Parker or Chile Ancho, but a sweet bell works fine) and some chopped green onion (for color but chopped green pepper would also work) have already been sauteed until the shallots are translucent. The rice is then placed in the bottom of a glass casserole dish and a tbsp or so of granulated chicken boullion sprinkled over the top of the rice, the chicken pieces are then arranged on top of the rice and the sauce is made very soupy as this liquid is what is used by the dried rice to hydrate. Cook as in the preceding but keep a close eye on the liquid, that it not dry out. The cooking time varies. Bake until tender at about 300-325 degreesF.

#62717 - 09/10/02 09:35 AM Re: Buff Orphingtons
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Ok, I'm thinking that "The Coop" folks need to get together for a big blow out, and a meal by Big Boy! laugh

I had to take a chicken out of the freezer to thaw today. I am soooo ready to try your recipe ideas!!!

Susie

#62718 - 09/11/02 04:30 AM Re: Buff Orphingtons
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you so much for the recipe and the what age my chicks should be before I butcher. I was hoping to have fresh chicken! frown I have and Aunt that is coming the first week in Oct, I guess I'll go and buy a bird somewhere. Maybe not too old. wink

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn