Topic Options
#63083 - 12/30/03 09:08 AM Warm Enough?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im thinking of buying a silkie bantam egg, then incubating and brooding it in march-April, but will it be able to survive outside in the winter by itself without the warmth of other chicks??

#63084 - 12/30/03 02:13 PM Re: Warm Enough?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
A single chick does not really thrive well. Chickens of all breeds, are flock animals--and even a flock of two is better than one alone. A single chick will cry a lot, ( in fact will drive you out of your mind, week by week!)instead of eat and grow. A single chick does not learn to look after itself well--as they learn in a group situation, even without a hen to show them. We are not able to teach them chicken things! And three chicks are better than two. Four are better than three.

It is not as easy to hatch just one egg--a full incubator is better to maintain the temperature and humidity necessary for a successful hatch. Capacity of incubators varies--there are some for just 3 or 4 eggs (not totally reliable), but worth a try, if this is what you must do. And what if you hatch just one rooster? They do not get along alone, even as well as a single hen.

If you want just one Silkie, you might want to look for a dear pet hen, already grown, and one hen might get along better by herself than a chick. Good luck, CJR

#63085 - 01/02/04 05:05 AM Re: Warm Enough?
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
Red Hen I have late summer hatched Silkies for sale, Blues, Black and Splash. I'm not sure where Allendale is, but I'm in Central Mi.

#63086 - 01/03/04 04:00 PM Re: Warm Enough?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks CJR for the good advice!

#63087 - 01/03/04 04:07 PM Re: Warm Enough?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nikki, is Central Michigan in the upper Peninsula? I live in the Lower Peninsula, sorry.

#63088 - 01/07/04 05:57 PM Re: Warm Enough?
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
Red Hen I'm right in the middle of the lower.
Nikki

#63089 - 01/12/04 01:45 PM Re: Warm Enough?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by goosemother:
Silkies can be diapered and kept in the house.
I'm sorry - diapered? ? ?
confused confused confused

Doh! Nevermind, folks! I stumbled across the Link-That-Explains-Everything: www.thegoosesmother.com

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2