Topic Options
#6309 - 04/29/04 04:07 PM Auto water system
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi
I would like to make an automatic water system for my new barn. I have 8 pens and I was thinking of running PVC piping with connectors and founts. However, the glue to secure the piping is not used for homes and cannot be used for human drinking water. I don't think it would be safe for fowl either so I am sort of stumped. Any ideas? Thanks

#6310 - 04/29/04 08:08 PM Re: Auto water system
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am quite confident that there are PVC glues out there that can be used on potable drinking water sources... I used to work in an urban park system in CA and we used PVC with glued fittings for all of our public drinking fountains.

Check your county health department, state dept. of water quality or building inspector and see what they recommend or require... I think you'll find that it's pretty simple.

I may be mistaken, but I think many older homes used copper and non-lead-based solder for the fittings. There's also a product called 'spet' tubing that is used in nearly all modular and manufactured homes (trailers, tornado magnets, etc.)... The tubing is an opaque plastic and the fittings and joints are a crimp style (thus, no glue), but the crimping tool is around $90 and the pipe and fittings are not cheap... Home Depot and Lowes will carry the product.

If you're in a rural community, without such evil corporate entities, check your local hardware store and see what they can order for you, or what they recommend.

I have a small coop with an automatic waterer that I hooked up to the garden hose, using threaded sprinkler pipe and threaded PVC fittings sealed with tef-tape. No glue, but not cuz I was worried about glue, I just happened to have the spare parts in the shed...

Good luck.

#6311 - 04/29/04 08:15 PM Re: Auto water system
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
I run a feed and fence store here in FL. I have a very extensive pvg section with 4 different types of pipe glue. This is the first time I have ever heard the products said to be non-potable. I have had my house for 12 years and the water system here for 10 years more than that and have always used the wet/dry glue for all existing waterpipes with no ill effects. I will read all the labels tomorrow and report back.
Sally confused

#6312 - 04/30/04 07:34 AM Re: Auto water system
Anonymous
Unregistered

*scary thought* the glue can make your water non potable? There HAS to be a glue that doesn't do that - ALL the pipes in my house are pvc and i know some are glued... hrmm...

#6313 - 04/30/04 12:17 PM Re: Auto water system
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the response. I think I will try threaded PVC, and use a Teflon tape to waterproof the seals. Even if safe, the solvent is messy to work with and gives off hazardous fumes. Thanks again!

#6314 - 04/30/04 08:27 PM Re: Auto water system
Anonymous
Unregistered

Depending how long you need to run the pipe, you may find it hard to get the pipe in threaded lengths... The sprinkler stuff I used was one 8-12 inches and I can't recall finding it in standard 16 foot sticks.

Good luck - and remember, chances are your house is already plumbed with PVC and glue, or copper and solder.

#6315 - 05/03/04 08:21 PM Re: Auto water system
Babock Offline
Feather

Loc: California
In California PVC is used all the time for the main water line to homes. It will not be a problem for chickens

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn