Topic Options
#63253 - 10/07/02 12:16 PM Solar Powered Heater
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just curious, does anyone use... or has anyone heard of a solar powered heater that can be placed inside the coop with a sun collector mounted outside to gather the suns rays? cool

#63254 - 10/07/02 07:29 PM Re: Solar Powered Heater
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Check with your Extension Agriculture Engineer at your local Land Grant University. During the 1980's there were a number of good designs for passive solar heating for animal facilities designed by several southern universities. It seems like Arkansas and maybe Alabama were involved. The Extension Engineers should be able to hook you up with the needed design information and technical facts. There were also tubes that were burried underground...it seems like Nebraska and Iowa were involved with those systems. They were often used in confinement hog facilities to maintain winter ventilation.

#63255 - 10/08/02 03:46 AM Re: Solar Powered Heater
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
There were some articles on the subject in the old Mother Earth News and Countryside Magazine also had (has) articles on the subject. Perhaps your librarian would be able to get you access to these materials?

#63256 - 10/08/02 04:58 AM Re: Solar Powered Heater
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Do It Yourself book somewhere (of course I can't find it now) that I am pretty sure shows one. When I find it I can let you know. You can also try this web page for ideas:
Solar Education
or Appropriate Technology
or Teaching Treasures

All have some advice or instructions on building solar powered devices.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2