Topic Options
#63561 - 05/01/05 08:27 PM Dog Kennel as Chicken Run?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I plan on building a new Chicken Coop this year for my Chickens and I am trying to go over some plans on housing, etc.

a few months ago I saw a Dog Kennel set up outside of Walmart. I looked at it and I thought that it would make a really nice Chicken Run. I can cover up the opened top with either chicken wire or poultry netting.

the only thing that I can't make up my mind on is the housing. sure the Dog kennel would make a nice Chicken Run but they need housing as well. it has to be big enough for seven chickens yet small enough to fit in a Dog kennel. I can't decide on a housing raised off the ground like a hutch, a housing set on stone blocks, or a housing on the ground.

you have all had Experience with building chicken housings and I was hoping that some of you could give me some suggestions.

#63562 - 05/02/05 04:31 AM Re: Dog Kennel as Chicken Run?
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
I have 8 dog runs for various pens. I have put two end to end to make a longer run. If you can eventually make more space then that might help you deside on a house for them. If you did build one up off the ground, that would give them more ground space, would be easy for you to collect eggs and clean, for a ladder we have made several using a 6" wood pence plank, they are six foot high, then we cut a 1"X 2" board into 6" pieces and screwed them up the plank for them to grip. For the winter I buy the 6ml heavy contractors plastic to wrap the pens. I use the wood fence planks and screw two boards together with the plastic in it to hold it, this way I can roll it over whenever the weather is nice, or cover for a storm coming. I put it up permanant on the north side by using one plank on the outside of pen and the other on the inside, takes long screws and two people. If you use the shade cloths that are offered with those runs, use wire to tie it up, those zipties break. Snow will stretch it bad! If you would like to know how my husband made roofs for mine let me know. I have used barrels, the smaller plastic ones to make nest and mounted them off the ground on those pens. I have to many ideas for those runs to write out and what all I have done. Just let me know if you need more.

#63563 - 05/03/05 06:45 AM Re: Dog Kennel as Chicken Run?
Freds Fine Fowl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Pennsylvania
Regarding having your hen-house off the ground or sitting on a foundation, food for thought: All of my coops, even large ones (20 plus feet in length) are up well off the ground on trestles. This does improve ground area as mentioned before, but also stops/reduces the invasion potential for rodents. I have no mice inside my coops, tight fitting doors, windows and joints are key. Also, along with providing extra ground space, the birds have a place to stand if the sun is intense or when there is a sudden down pour. If I'm thinking correctly, your kennel/run will be on grass? You will want to make a couple of runs (two minimum) so as the chickens de-foliate one patch, you can simply divert then to the other while the first recovers. If you don't do that, you will end up with very poor soil conditions and disease will soon follow. Best of luck to you!

#63564 - 05/03/05 12:31 PM Re: Dog Kennel as Chicken Run?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Some years ago I bolted old lawn mower wheels to the bottom horizontal pipe and was able to move the entire pen each day or so. Am going to do it again for some ducks.

#63565 - 05/04/05 07:14 PM Re: Dog Kennel as Chicken Run?
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for all of the advice everyone. this is a big Decision for me.

I want the run to be large enough for seven chickens to be Comfortable in. I want them to have enough room to move around in and enough room as to not wear the grass bare.

I too think that a coop raised up off of the ground in hutch Fashion would be best.

can anyone give me ideas for Measurements, hights, and size for seven chickens?

how do I make nesting boxes (probably two) in the coop as well? and what about perches for the chickens to roost on?

I 'could' build the coop outside of the run itself which would give them much more room. but that would include cutting a small hole in the Dog Kennel. I don't know if I would want to do that after paying nearly $200 on it...

#63566 - 05/05/05 04:38 AM Re: Dog Kennel as Chicken Run?
Tiffany Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Texas
Cut your hole and secure to your hutch. One thing about the chain link is, it's links, if you ever deside you want to change all you have to do is twist out the cut sections and add new links. You may find some fencing at a yard sale or flea market or just go to a dealer that makes it and get the size you want. Thats what I like best about the kennels. Watch the papers, people sell them kennels all the time, I have only bought three at store out of my 8, they were $75 to $100. And any missing peices your can get at home depot or lowes.

#63567 - 05/05/05 07:35 PM Re: Dog Kennel as Chicken Run?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see Dog Kennels in the news paper all of the time as well. it may just be easier to buy a new one at the store though.

#63568 - 06/12/05 04:46 PM Re: Dog Kennel as Chicken Run?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there. I have a setup similar to what you seem to be thinking of. I have a 7'x11' chain link dog kennel as chicken run, I had 6 chickens in it for a while but actually thought they could use more room so I used the side of my house as one wall so I could run one pannel out from the house 11' then perpendicular to that another 11' panel and then one 7' panel with the door at an angle back towards the house where it meets with a tree, anyway the end result is I was able to turn my 7'x11' into a run that is larger than 11'x11'. I realize this is confusing. I ought to get a picture of it. I didn't have much time to build my chickens something to sleep in so I just bought a plastic Rubbermaid horizontal storage shed (3'H x 4'7"W x 2'4"D) for a coop. It works great, just have to do a little rigging for good warm weather ventilation. I just lock my hens in at night and let them out at dawn. I just built some removable roosts inside for them. It's held up to 6 pullets with plenty of room to spare. Best of all, I'm going to be building a new chicken house as my flock is increasing to 8 with the addition of 3 growing chicks and the shed can now be cleaned and used to store feed and supplies. For nests I have one medium plastic dog house, one covered cat litter box and one plastic rubbermaid storage box with a hole cut in the lid. My chickens have no complaints and I don't either as I didn't have to purchase or build nests. Let me know if you have any questions.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2