Topic Options
#63590 - 01/26/04 12:10 PM "Deep Litter"
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey,
I live on about 2.5 acres of mostly wooded area, and i am trying to ind a type of housing to house a few turkeys, chickens, ducks and maybe a guinea. I was looking on the internet, and found a system i liked, but had a few questions about it you can see these "deep litter" pens at this website http://www.rockingtranch.com/mjpics.html
1.) Would this setup be humane, i don't know the measurements, but i was still wondering if the birds could be kept in these pens WITHOUT any outside pens?

#63591 - 01/26/04 12:25 PM Re: "Deep Litter"
Anonymous
Unregistered

The pens im talking about are the big ones on ethe bottom, not the the cages

#63592 - 01/26/04 02:44 PM Re: "Deep Litter"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chickens can be kept in enclosed pens and most adapt to them pretty well. I've seen it where there is a section in the top of the pen that is covered with glass to allow light in so bulbs will not have to be used. And this way it allows the chickens to see when it is getting dark as well so they will go to roost. I'd just be careful not to over stock the pen as crowding can cause some problems.

Todd
Virginia is for Lovers!

#63593 - 01/27/04 10:12 AM Re: "Deep Litter"
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
From the pictures on the website, all I can see is cages and floors. The floors do not look like what I would call deep bedding, although if more were applied they would be. Deep bedded coops usually have at least 6" of litter, and 1-2 feet is not uncommon. You can keep birds inside like that if they have the feed and water they need, plus ventilation, roosting facilities, light, space, etc., etc. A protected run is nice, the bigger the better.

Most people don't like to house ducks and chickens together because the ducks make a great mess in their water, and need to do so. Guineas and chickens seem to work okay together, especially if they're raised together or confined together for a while, and if the male guineas don't choose to harrass any of the chickens. There are reasons not to house turkeys and chickens together, and reasons not to house dissimilar types or sizes of chickens together.

#63594 - 01/27/04 12:02 PM Re: "Deep Litter"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dr. Smith, i found some better pictures to explain the type of housing that I mean. And another question, is it possible to house chcikens and poultry in these types of pens without an out side run
http://www.rockingtranch.com/mjpics.html
scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the pens

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2