Topic Options
#63735 - 09/10/04 09:28 AM Question about rooster-hen coop size
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

First, I want to say thank you, I have read so many of your posts and they have been so very helpful.
Okay, my question is, you said that you keep two hens to the roo because of color for breeding. That is pretty much my ratio of the hens to roo in the breeds/colors I would like to raise.
What are the size of coops you keep your three in?
Thanks so much,
Holli

#63736 - 09/10/04 03:25 PM Re: Question about rooster-hen coop size
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
They vary according to design of each poultry house. They are about 6-7' deep and 3-5' wide. One is smaller and is for just a single bird or a pair. Wire doors are the most of the wall on the aisle sides. Windows are on the outer wall-low, with a shelf above the windows for nest boxes and another shelf above the nest shelves with the night roosts, which are close to the ceiling, which also varies in each house--up to 6'. There is a day roost at about 3'and across each pen, and this is an assist to another roost board in front of the night roost shelf, to assist reaching the roost. On that roost shelf for night, is a galvanized pan and in it sits another box with roost boards for the birds. They are "fruit boxes" with wooden ends, from the grocery store. Lined with plastic (from bedding sacks) and covered with a little shavings, they dump easily and fairly cleanly every month or so. Three birds do not fill up the droppings box very fast. If you empty often, there is NO smell in the houses and few flies in summer. The smaller pens have just a pair. And at the end of each of the larger houses, is a pen all across the house. There is a cupboard, in sections to raise little chicks, until they can go on the floor of the larger pens. Can raise 12-15 youngsters up to 4 months in those pens. If you go to my website: www.dutchbantams.com you can see some pictures of my housing,(and others who have sent me pictures), but inside the houses is hard to photograph, but there are pictures of some of my birds in the pens. If I built more houses, I could do it better each time! CJR

#63737 - 09/10/04 05:39 PM Re: Question about rooster-hen coop size
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks so much, CJR!
Sincerely,
Holli smile

#63738 - 09/11/04 06:59 PM Re: Question about rooster-hen coop size
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi CJR,
I tried to click on the link for the pics and it came up not available....do u think that is temporary?
Sally

#63739 - 09/24/04 03:02 PM Re: Question about rooster-hen coop size
Cyngbaeld Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Texas
The link is good, but you need to do a copy paste and leave off the comma at the end of the link.

#63740 - 09/25/04 12:24 AM Re: Question about rooster-hen coop size
Anonymous
Unregistered

What beauties. In one of the pictures it looks like there is a rooster keeping a couple of chicks warm like a broody would. Is that unusual?

#63741 - 09/25/04 08:14 AM Re: Question about rooster-hen coop size
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Sorry about that, I removed that comma.

Not a lot of cocks will help brood chicks, but some will. Mine never get a chance. These are birds I sold--good friend, across the country, just was here for a visit. CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2