Topic Options
#63800 - 03/31/06 10:16 AM flooring for brooder/guinea structure?
Megan Offline
Chick

Loc: Pennsylvania
I'm converting an OLD horse stall in our barn to be a place for brooding chicks/ducks/guineas and then to be the permanent coop for guineas and a place for sick or need to be seperated animals. (Otherwise the creatures will be day-ranging in mobile coops.)

The challenge has been making it predator proof. It has a dirt floor and I've made an apron of hardware cloth on the outside walls that I will weigh down with some big rocks. I need to make the interior floor higher though as you can actually see under the outside walls! Thought maybe concrete but that was pricey and I wasn't sure with movement of freeze/thaw if it would close the gap. Any ideas?

Idea number 2, What if I add some gravel to give some depth to the floor? Would make it less dusty than the current dirt and I could make it level. Then put shavings/straw down right? I haven't had poultry before so just wanted to checks with you folks who know! Finally, I was given two choices of gravel: good drainage vs. one with more sand/grit that is more compact. I should order the "drainage" one right?

#63801 - 03/31/06 11:52 AM Re: flooring for brooder/guinea structure?
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
More coarse 1st then finer which will compact on top, clay over that if you can find it. The clay will pack as concrete.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2