Topic Options
#63941 - 10/13/02 06:24 PM A door or no door
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please help settle a dispute between my husband and me. I think the new coop we are building needs a door to help keep the weather and critters out, but my husband does not. We live in North Texas where it is HOT in the summer and Cold in the winter.I need suggestions.

confused

#63942 - 10/13/02 07:08 PM Re: A door or no door
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to vote for doors. We have one small chicken sized door that leads to the fenced-in chicken run. That one stays open all the time. We also have a people sized door where we enter to clean, pick up eggs and check on everyone. We added a screen door this Summer and it helps with ventilation. The chickens love it too 'cause they can look out but nothing can get in. When the weather is rainy or cold we close that door. It's worked great so far. cool

#63943 - 10/13/02 11:07 PM Re: A door or no door
Graciel Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
Doors. It's 2 AM and I'm still sitting up waiting to see if a dog fox that was after my turkeys comes back. These are the birds that are not in the turkey house, but roost on my porch at night! Don't you believe that those critters won't be there to snag every bird you have over time if the birds are left undefended and in an open coop at night.

Jennifer

#63944 - 10/14/02 04:02 AM Re: A door or no door
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Me, too, I vote for doors. How would you get in to muck it out?

#63945 - 10/14/02 07:20 AM Re: A door or no door
Anonymous
Unregistered

"muck out" would be the way to describe it.

#63946 - 10/15/02 07:53 AM Re: A door or no door
Anonymous
Unregistered

When we first built something for our fast growing chicken population my husband didnt want a door on it either.
Then one morning I went to feed, and almost all my birds where slaughtered. They where not eaten, just killed, and laying all over the place. I was heart broken. I had hatched all of them from eggs and now I had only 2 hens left that managed to get away.
Take my advise, take the time to put on a door for the night time, it will save you so much grief in the future.

#63947 - 10/15/02 08:52 AM Re: A door or no door
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sixsents, I also ditto the door... and while it does get hot here, I leave it open during the day with wire cloth reinforced windows open all the time... It will always boil down to a predator problem.. if you live where you can have chickens, they you live where there are predators (everything likes to eat chicken!!)
It's not only not worth the heartache to go in one morning to find all your beautiful birds slaughtered, but think of the expense, not only for the birds that you just lost but for the building you paid for to house those no-longer exhisting birds...
How hard is it to build a door??
smile

#63948 - 10/16/02 05:21 AM Re: A door or no door
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Cochima, you said it well. Thank you.

#63949 - 10/17/02 11:00 AM Re: A door or no door
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
a door that automatically opens and closes would be nice. My neighbor has that on his poultry house and it's slick. It's on a timer hooked up to a photocell. Closes an hour after sunset and opens at dawn. he can set it to delay opening or closing which would be perfect for me since I need to delay my bird's exit in the summer. (save neighbors from early morning crowing). Asked my neighbor where he got it and he said it was something his dad installed, source long forgotten.

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of a greenhouse supplier, they have all kinds of automated openers and closers. But always looking for ideas smile

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

#63950 - 10/18/02 11:49 PM Re: A door or no door
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gotta vote not only DOOR but, DOORS! One people sized for you, and a smaller chicken sized one for them. Our Taj Machickenjal has a full sized door from the feed room into each coop, another full sized door out to the yard, a small chicken door, with a slider on it, out to the yard, another small chicken door for access in between two coops, AND a doggone window! Then again, each coop measures 8 X 12. I can get into each coop either from their yard, or from inside the barn. I need to get some pictures up here one of these days. You want to be able to get in to feed, gather eggs, muck it out, and do what ever else needs done. The chickens need to be COMPLETELY protected from what ever critters you may have looking for a fresh chicken dinner, and the weather, hot, cold, windy, what ever. Make sure that you don't keep it closed up for too long without good ventilation, tho! Definitely doors. laugh Good Luck!!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2