Topic Options
#63990 - 08/15/02 04:12 AM PVC chicken tractor
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
I have been doing some research on building one of these this winter, so my breeding birds can have some outdoor time next summer. Anyone made one of these. I'v found some sites with green house style plans, I would use chicken wire instead of the plastic. Has anyone tryed making one of these, if so did you run into any problems during construction or with keeping the birds in them. I just think this would be a nice way to get my Silkies and Welsummers outside. Here's a link to what I found www.pvcplans.com

#63991 - 08/15/02 04:46 AM Re: PVC chicken tractor
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
Those plans look nifty. I agree on using metal netting: more predator resistance. I use 1x2s or 2x2s and 2x4 welded wire for chicken tractors. It isn't too difficult to put together and light enough that two people can lift and transport it. I am guessing that a 6x12x4 pen weighs about 80-90 lbs. I like them on the garden area after tilling or harvesting. It's the pits,though,whenever we get rain (which has been seldom the last 2-3 years - we get 2-4 inches of moisture and then it shuts down for 6-8 weeks and more). It would be better on grass but I would think that you couldn't have as great a population density for fear of ruining the grass.

#63992 - 08/15/02 08:16 AM Re: PVC chicken tractor
Nancy Offline
Flock Leader

I know this is a stupid question but being new to all this I need to ask....what exactly is a chicken tractor?
Thanks to all for helping me become chicken literate!
Nancy

#63993 - 08/15/02 08:21 AM Re: PVC chicken tractor
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
I used hog panels for the movable goose/duck pens attached to 2x4s. 4 ftx12 ft. and a couple pieces of plywood, on one, and a plastic tarp on another. They are heavy but I can slide them ahead with little trouble. I use several 2x6 footers for a trio of chickens. The chickens can be moved every other day, the geese, 3 x per day. I am experimenting on using the waterfowl in my berry field for bug, bird and weed control. The chickens are in the lawn on perimeter of raised bed garden plots. After harvest, before cover crop, they go up on the beds for a week or two then back on grass. They eat the grass and scratch it up pretty good, but it really gets greener later on. The geese are true grazers and eat the beat grass first and apply it back to the surface as fertilizer. rob

#63994 - 08/15/02 08:24 AM Re: PVC chicken tractor
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Nancy, your post wasnt up as i posted. A CT is a movable poultry pen. Some are elaborate, some are simple. I try to keep things simple using the K.I.S.S. method. (keep it simple stupid)! rob

#63995 - 08/15/02 10:03 AM Re: PVC chicken tractor
BC Breeder Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
>>>>>I am experimenting on using the waterfowl in my berry field for bug, bird and weed control.

rob, several years ago I knew a strawberry farmer who used geese in her "you-pick" strawberry fields. She found them to be excellent right up till the berries started turning red. The geese liked the red strawberries.

Pictures related to my blue eggers can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/BCsBlueEggers

#63996 - 08/15/02 12:28 PM Re: PVC chicken tractor
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Thanks BC. I grow ribes, elderberries and brambles on 10 foot wide rows. I hope to slide the pens along the pathways between and have smaller wire at top half of pen, thus preventing eating foilage and berries over 12" from ground. If nothing else it will be an interesting trial.

#63997 - 08/17/02 06:26 PM Re: PVC chicken tractor
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thank you everyone for yor input on my project. Once I get started I'l have more to share.
Rob what is a Ribe?

#63998 - 08/17/02 07:00 PM Re: PVC chicken tractor
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

To keep it simple they are currants and gooseberries. :p

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2