Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64006 - 08/13/09 03:31 AM Coop designs
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Has anybody got a good coop/house design approx 8'x4' with wheels for moving if needed, although it will be mostly stationary. I want it high enough to stand in, with external nest boxes. Windows, vents pop hole with main door.

Preferably light enough to move too.

Or a good site for one.

I have looked at lots of plans on sites I could get into, but nothing screamed out "Build me"

#64007 - 08/23/09 11:09 AM Re: Coop designs
CBS Offline
Chicken

Loc: Georgia

#64008 - 08/23/09 09:58 PM Re: Coop designs
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Thanks for that CBS There are certainly some nice ideas.

#64009 - 08/28/09 02:14 AM Re: Coop designs
Iain C. Offline
Chick

Loc: Scotland
Hi,
Suggest you try www.stablewise.co.uk Look at the "Hen Pecker" unit. The ultimate design for my money. I've no connection with the firm- in fact I cannot contact them!

#64010 - 08/30/09 09:31 PM Re: Coop designs
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Yes, also some good ideas. I want to make it Approx. 8x4 and be light enough to shift if I have to. Anything, shown with wheels would be good, otherwise it would have to be a two person lift.
Under the local council by-laws, it needs to look mobile to escape the stringent rules attached to distances from boundaries and kitchens. laugh

#64011 - 08/31/09 12:19 AM Re: Coop designs
Karen Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
I had a little house that was for all intents & purposes identical to the "Hen Pecked" unit.

My son made it from pictures in an old Mother Earth News Magazine. It was supposed to be portable with wheels on the same side as the nest boxes- one wheel on each corner. A couple of 2x2x8's were the handles. You were supposed to tip it back on the wheels holding the 2x2's & pull it along.

The 2x2x8's went straight though the house on either side of the "front door" to the back.

It was 6x6 and quite roomy, but here were several things I didn't like about it. Since it was made from 2x2's and thin plywood it was too flimsy to hold a real roof. The roof was those green fiberglass panels like green houses use. It was too hot in the summer and I worried that it would cave in under the weight of snow in the winter. It was however sturdy and the chickens were warm and cozy in it.

Karen

#64012 - 09/01/09 07:22 AM Re: Coop designs
Golden Chick Offline
Chick

Loc: Canada
I am just finishing building an A frame style tractor unit. it's 16' long and about 5' wide, but you could make it any size you wanted. the hen house is at the top at one end 5' long with nesting boxes off the side. the area under the hen house is open so they have the full 16' to scratch.

it's heavy, but i can move it by myself in part because i took a piece of pvc pipe, split it in 1/2 and screwed it to the bottom of the 2x4 runners. it slides over the grass quite nicely.

now, i can't walk upright into it, but both ends opens fully and one side of the roof in the house part lifts up (nesting box side) so there is full access and i can get into it if i want. also with this kind of set up don't forget that you can move the whole unit to get to what you want inside also. i'm going to put 10 birds in it.

#64013 - 09/01/09 09:00 AM Re: Coop designs
Mountaintop Chicken Offline
Feather

Loc: Vermont
I'd love to see pics if you've got them, goldenchick.

I like to look at different coop designs and get ideas.

#88880 - 04/08/10 06:18 PM Re: Coop designs [Re: Mountaintop Chicken]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Here's an update on our finished hen house.

Internally I have added some ramps, a 4x2 roosting rail, and a droppings board. The feeder hangs from the roof beam, and there is a short shelf built into the end of the far gable above the nest boxes. The only thing we have added is a partition to prevent the sort of silliness as in the last photo. It was a blinding hot summer's day.

Completing the chosen hen house

You should be able to scroll through all 8 photos.

#93461 - 12/22/10 01:25 AM Re: Coop designs [Re: Foehn]
Danny143 Offline
New Egg

Loc: Zamboanga del Sur
Hi there,

I know a book about talks about chicken coop. They have various types of chicken coop designs in various sizes. Visit this link! Chicken Coop Plans

I hope it helps.

Edited by Danny143 (12/22/10 01:27 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2