Topic Options
#64175 - 10/07/08 08:33 AM Acrylic Henhouse Roof
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I'm about to build a henhouse for about a dozen birds, is there any reason I shouldn't roof it with a sheet of double-skin acrylic sheet (transparent)?

Thanks.

#64176 - 10/07/08 11:01 AM Re: Acrylic Henhouse Roof
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
My mom has that roofing over her deck, which is open on all sides, and it still gets hot under there, oppressivley hot. Around here, they use it on greenhouses, for obvious reasons.

Of course, our climates may be different. In the winter, that roof, being uninsulated, would be impossible to heat. Summers here can get very hot! And that roofing would magnify the heat. Here, chickens suffer enough when the temps get over 28 without a greenhouse roof overhead adding to the problem.

For my climate I would consider it too hot in the summer, especially over an enclosed hen house. And impossible to keep heat in in the winter, since it is never installed over insulation. (I have assumed you are talking about the clear, corrugated acrylic). If your temps are more even, never too hot, never below freezing, then you might be okay.

#64177 - 10/07/08 12:58 PM Re: Acrylic Henhouse Roof
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
If you use it in an area where you get snow, or even heavy frost, it will crystallize frost on the inside during cold temps, which will then melt and drip into your hen house, adding moisture to the floor where you do not want it.
Your roof really needs to be properly insulated to avoid moisture, and chooks will give off enough body heat to exacerbate the problem.

If your purpose in using it is to provide light in the house, you might get away with using a panel on the wall, instead of a window, but you may still need to cover it in the winter if you are in the snow belt. A double glazed window would be better though, which could be opened in the summer for ventilation.

#64178 - 10/08/08 09:54 AM Re: Acrylic Henhouse Roof
Anonymous
Unregistered

The acrlic sheet is flat and double skinned - viz:

It's the twin-wall, and is 6mm thick.

Oh, and weather wise, it's quite temperate here and the hen-house won't be exposed to much of the afternoon sun.

#64179 - 10/08/08 12:07 PM Re: Acrylic Henhouse Roof
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I had that twinwall stuff on the roof of my conservatory. It was guaranteed for about 10 years. It was also opaque and UV rated so it didn't let huge amounts of heat through. We got heavy frosts but I don't think it ever dripped because of the double skin. Thanks for posting the data, I have a clearer picture now and if your climate in Shropshire is quite temperate, and you have ventilation you can open in the summer, you should be ok.
I look forward to seeing you post pictures of your hen house when its built. laugh

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2