#64247 - 12/03/04 08:31 AM Re: Keeping up with my Flock as I age
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Now why is that? CJR

#64248 - 12/03/04 03:42 PM Re: Keeping up with my Flock as I age
Anonymous
Unregistered

Probably because a smart rooster knows when to listen instead of talk... In this case, I'll break the silence (despite what it might suggest;)

Sally's pipe idea is one that I have thought of for my set-up, but for a shorter distance than you may need. I actually thought about plumbing the pipe right through the wall of the coop, aiming the outlet at the open top of the feeder, so all I would have to do to refill the feeder is pour the feed into the open end of the pipe...

I suppose if the angle was great enough, a longer pipe would work fine. I think 6 inch diamter PVC would work well and could be sealed up just fine to prevent rodents. Though it might be a little spendy depending upon the distance...

You could also have the pipe outlet dump into a large, sealable plastic container - like a large garbage can (that's what I currently use to store my feed outside).

In theory, you'd go to the bottom and open the storage container; then back up to the top of the pipe; dump 3 or 4 bags of feed into the pipe to fill the container below and only have to do this, well..., whenever your birds exhausted 150-200 lbs of feed (depending on the size of your storage container).

I also use an automatic watering system in my henhouse - this link below shows the product. I attach it to a drinking-water-safe garden hose in the summer (then detach and carry water all winter - not fun)

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/automatic_water_bowls.html

I like it, but can't use it in the winter... not sure if you could employ this one all year long, or if you'd have to try something different...

Anyway, if I have any more ideas, I'll try and post.

#64249 - 12/04/04 09:31 PM Re: Keeping up with my Flock as I age
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Loc: California
Dear J.,
First of all thank you for being a vocal AND smart Roo!
I did look at the site you so kindly provided but can several of these be linked together and joined by hoses so that multiple waterers can be utilized from one water source? Fortunately for me, the one weather problem I don't have to worry about is freezing. J, do you think a hot water recirculating pump would keep your pipes and/or hoses from freezing in the winter?
Also, I did have a Little Giant waterer like the ones shown at the site but it fell apart rather quickly - are these from McMurray long lasting?
I want to start researching where I can buy a 4-wheeler. No one I've spoken to around here seems to know but that's not saying much....if I can get the 4-wheeler and set up some sort of down-slope feed delivery system as suggested by Sally & J AND get a connected auto-watering system, I'll be in clover.
Today, 5 new beautiful birds joined my flock to make it a flock of 61 lively delightful individuals.
My best to all of you,
Linda

#64250 - 12/05/04 05:30 AM Re: Keeping up with my Flock as I age
J. Waller Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Minnesota
Hi-another old rooster has been listening. My kids get tired of hearing me say "When I wore a young man's clothes I could ...." or "When I was in my natural prime I could ....". I'm very fortunate that I have a son who built a house on the home farm and the two granddaughers (only 4 and 7 years old but like to do housekeeping, etc) and another son who live in town. Easy to get help with tough projects. Usually only have to babysit (oops-daycare) or fix supper here in return.

Son has a 4 wheeler-has trailer, snowplow, winch, etc. There are even machines (with 6 wheels) that ride like a golf cart and have a little pickup box on the back. I think they're called a Mule. I know John Deere makes one-neighbor has one.

Getting older isn't that much fun but sure beats the alternative.

#64251 - 12/05/04 06:19 PM Re: Keeping up with my Flock as I age
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Thanks, Jwaller!
I'll look up the John Deere....have already been trying to research the 4-wheelers but must see which manufacturer is best for my application - and has the best attachments..any ideas?
Also have been thinking about JaysWyoFlock & freezing pipes. I have a fish pond and have run through several pumps until I finally got the Pondmaster5000 (5000 gal per minute. Would it work to use a pond pump and a small water heater to keep water constantly circulating throughout a piped system? (Note: when determining which pump to get, it's best to get a larger capacity one than a smaller capacity as the # of gallons per minute diminishes depending on the length of the water run as well as any inclines) Let me know if anyone is interested and I'll dig up the site where I purchased mine for a pretty good price.
Warm regards,
Linda

#64252 - 12/08/04 09:14 AM Re: Keeping up with my Flock as I age
Anonymous
Unregistered

Regarding 4-wheeler manufacturers, Honda has the best reputation up here in my neck of the woods. They've been making them a long time and have a very good track record. We have Honda Ranchers. Good for farm work and for the teenagers to have fun on.

Whatever you do - don't waste your $ on a machine that doesn't have 4-wheel-drive. Mine are full-time 4WD but some switch between 2WD and 4WD.

#64253 - 12/08/04 09:46 AM Re: Keeping up with my Flock as I age
Anonymous
Unregistered

sadlm2 -

Yeah, my little giant has held together very well. Takes an occassional cleaning to keep the vavle from getting gummed-up, but cleaning takes almost no time at all - 2 seasons of use has been virtually trouble-free. Yes, I believe you could 'daisy-chain' several of these waterers together with some creative piping.

I plumbed mine through the wall of the coop, using a short piece of PVC, then fitted the outside end of the pipe with a hose-thread fitting.

In your case, you'd do the same, but instead of hooking a hose directly to the threaded fitting, you would fit each hose-thread fitting with a Y valve (splitter) that accepts both the male end of one hose and the female end of another. The first waterer would be connected to your water source hose and each subsequent waterer connected by a different hose... Depending on the distances you have to run, it may be cheaper to buy one long hose and several fittings, cutting the hose to the appropriate length and adding the extra fittings to each end.

The last waterer in your line would not need a splitter as described, but having one would allow you to occassionally 'bleed' your lines (remove any old, standing water).

You'll also want to make sure the hoses are 'drinking-water safe.' Most standard garden hoses are not, as they contain lots of ethyl-methyl bad stuff you wouldn't want your birds ingesting...

#64254 - 12/08/04 03:55 PM Re: Keeping up with my Flock as I age
Sadlm2 Offline
Chicken

Very Interesting!
Thanks, Stacey & J..
Had contacted my nephew who has a Kawasaki ATV but the rancher sounds like it would fit my needs more.
J. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. If I can't find drinking water safe hoses, maybe I'll use PVC for the whole layout.
Warm ergards,
Linda

#64255 - 12/10/04 11:48 AM Re: Keeping up with my Flock as I age
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, PVC should be cheaper, too. Especially the fittings. I use the hoses cuz I have to store all of it in the winter; Hose coils. PVC doesn't.

Good luck and I hope your flock appreciates all your effort!

#64256 - 12/23/04 06:54 PM Re: Keeping up with my Flock as I age
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sadlm2,
did you find any solution through any of the posts?
Merry Christmas
Sally

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2