Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6437 - 07/20/02 01:38 PM Bloodletting
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was asked why we had to let slaughtered birds bleed out before plucking... !?
(obviously I don't know!! )
Does any body?
does one wait till there's no more dripping? (ok, gorey subject, but I gotta ask!)

#6438 - 07/20/02 08:12 PM Re: Bloodletting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi.

I believe that by letting the bird bleed, all the blood leaves the veins of the bird so that the meat looks more attractive to eat, instead of having black lines throughout it.

We normally wait till the bird stops dripping, before plucking them.

#6439 - 07/20/02 09:48 PM Re: Bloodletting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't get me wrong on this, but the Bible said something about doing that to fresh meat.
Coz

#6440 - 07/22/02 11:55 AM Re: Bloodletting
Aram Seattle Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Washington
Muslims always bleed and so do Jews. I grew up in a muslim country, so I kinda inherited their tradition of pure meet on it. I think maybe blood is first to spoil, so that's why they bleed their animals to death, usually withough stunning them first.

#6441 - 07/22/02 03:37 PM Re: Bloodletting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea, I know the Bible say's we're not to take in blood but I didn't know if there was some other aspect to it, like the black lines from blood in the veins or if it could spoil the meat or make one sick.... you know, those other things!!
Is it realy more of a biblical/visual principle than a 'scientific' one?

I really appreciate the input!! Thanks!

#6442 - 07/22/02 06:13 PM Re: Bloodletting
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It's scientific, and you will find that many of the peoples of the world learned these things LONG ago, and wrote them down. This is the same way we know of plants that are poisonous, animals of the sea that are poisonous, etc. Because they are sound practices, we recognize these things, but science has also given us means and knowledge to by-pass some of the threats to health and safety that were known centuries ago, and we can safely use some of them in new and helpful ways. CJR

#6443 - 07/22/02 07:51 PM Re: Bloodletting
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
CJR, so refreshing to see you able to post!! Yay!

Cochima, I have always thought (and have read) that bleeding an animal is to prevent spoilage. It's also a taste and appearance preference but I'm betting spoilage is the main reason the practice started and then we got used to the taste and appearance. It's interesting but there are a lot of religious traditions involving foods that have later proved out to be smart by science.

But your specific question -- why let them completely bleed before plucking? I'd say because of the mess! smile I wouldn't clean a bird before it quit dripping but you sure could pluck one if you wanted to!

Susie

#6444 - 07/23/02 03:59 AM Re: Bloodletting
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
CJR, it's good to see your post. I suppose that bleeding is a good hygenic practice but we skin rather than pluck: it's faster (at least it seems faster). I can handle 8 fryers an hour from sticking to final water bathe and into the freezer bags. We consume them fast enough that freezer burn is not an issue and we have poultry flesh that is bled well. Sometimes I miss the skin on fried poultry but I don't miss seeing the pin feathers on the bird.

#6445 - 07/23/02 05:48 AM Re: Bloodletting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everbody, for your answers... It's very enlightning!!

and CJR, it's good to have you back! laugh

#6446 - 07/23/02 09:11 AM Re: Bloodletting
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Thanks to VTdotte--Netscape would not let me fully use the new format--Internet Explorer DOES; (but I do not like Explorer--just have to put up with it!!) Guess some new updates are in order! Now to get the Genetics discussions going again--I have questions! Cheers, CJR

#6447 - 07/23/02 12:50 PM Re: Bloodletting
Big Boy Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Kansas
I knew that there had to be another reason than that you could't figure it out. Went to Explorer four years ago. I've gotten so familiar with it that I'd be in trouble if I had to switch back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn