Topic Options
#64408 - 03/04/05 05:24 AM 3-4 inches enough for a predator?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I expanded my outdoor run. For there birthday, I got them a carport. I've enclosed it with cattle panels covered with chicken wire. Between the top of the cattle panel and the bottom of the carport overhang is 3-4 inches. I was going to put barbed wire or more chicken wire there to keep out baby predators, but my husband and mother in law say that those few inches won't let a varmint of ill repute in. Do I need to cover or no need to cover?

#64409 - 03/04/05 06:33 AM Re: 3-4 inches enough for a predator?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Depends on the varmints you have in your area. Coyotes, foxes, wild and feral cats are not going to be a problem, but 3-4 inches would be enough for some of the weasel family members, and will not keep feed-stealers out either (rats, squirrels, etc.)

If you're sure you do not have those types of critters, then you can probably go without. If you are unsure, then better safe than sorry.

Good luck.

#64410 - 03/04/05 07:52 AM Re: 3-4 inches enough for a predator?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with J. You'll sleep better knowing things are buttoned up tightly. It's amazing how a predator can find its way in if not detered.

TC
cool

#64411 - 03/04/05 11:29 AM Re: 3-4 inches enough for a predator?
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
After all you have already done, I would finsh it by covering that area. I have read many sad stories that contained the words "I wish I had".

Bill L.

#64412 - 03/05/05 04:14 AM Re: 3-4 inches enough for a predator?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for the input, it shall be covered! Wasn't so worried about the armadillo's going under, the owl from the prehistoric age who likes to fly overhead, but the raccoons and opposums. I never see them alive in my yard. They do seem to end up in the dirt road belly up quite a bit. I figure they might have relatives who have learned to stay out of the road who might be curious. Now to explain to the family....

#64413 - 03/06/05 04:54 PM Re: 3-4 inches enough for a predator?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a gap that size in one of my pens three years ago and lost six chickens to the coons before I found it. after i fixed the hole, I put out a live trap for a couple weeks and caught three opposums, four coons and two stray cats. I never saw any of them during the day, so you never realy know whats out there...

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2