Topic Options
#64430 - 12/05/04 02:50 AM fogging for lice
Nikki Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
I have been fighting lice on my Silkies for a while now. I'v tryed powders and even used cat flea shampoo. I think I need to do the whole building. I have free range standard birds on one side of the coop and pened silkis on the other side who don't go out and don't have contact with free range birds.
I'am thinking if I use a fogger that I may be able to get a grip. My question is do I remove feeder's an waters. Can I lock birds in and make the strength for birds and not the building. I just hate the powder it messes wth my lungs and it just don't seem to put a dent in the problem. Thank you for any help.
Nikki

#64431 - 12/05/04 08:35 AM Re: fogging for lice
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Virginia
My chickens have a layer of cedar in their coop.
This keeps down any mites... They also lay up under a cedar tree I have and dust themselves with it's dirt. This seems to keep down the parasites since I haven't seen one since.
I would try alternatives before fogging...Robin

#64432 - 12/05/04 01:01 PM Re: fogging for lice
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Fogging won't contact the lice next to the skin, especially around the vent, where they hang out and feed on the bird, so they won't be killed.

If you can get it, nighttime treatment of each bird (wearing a dust mask) with Lice Powder containing RABON will get them in one treatment. And during the day, when the birds are off the roosts, spray the roosts (underside, too!) with any of the sprays for lice and mites! Good luck, it is an awful scourge! CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2