Topic Options
#64849 - 11/30/04 05:19 AM Water heater purchase?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi...just wondering how I would go about finding one of these, good price and good item for about 7 or so chickens this winter. Thanks in advance.

#64850 - 11/30/04 05:44 AM Re: Water heater purchase?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greetings C -
Welcome to The Classroom.
I am not sure if you mean water heater as in 'nice warm bath' or keeping the drinking water thawed.
Either way, there is a great 'search' function located in the upper right corner of this page. It allows you access to every post....ever. And there are some great suggestions and ideas.

Best of cLuck -

TC
cool

#64851 - 11/30/04 11:59 AM Re: Water heater purchase?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there. Last year we used a bowl that you plug in and it heats the water enough to keep it from freezing. If you have a large number of chickens, though, it won't be feasible. Last year we had 5 - this year we have 19, along with 3 ducks. I'm not sure what we're going to do this year. We both work, and can't be home to change water often.

I'll be watching this post to see what others do.

#64852 - 11/30/04 04:24 PM Re: Water heater purchase?
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are lots of alternatives out there. The search function will yeild a pile of strings you can sift through. I'll save you a little time.

By no means is this the only method, the best or even the cheapest method, but as long as you have power to the coop, it is very practical.

Metal poultry fount and metal base heater. I use a 5 gallon fount, but they make a 2 and 8 gallon version as well. 5 gallons will last my 23 hens only 3 days. I wish I had the 8 (of course that's an extra 24+ pounds to lug across the yard)

Both can be found in many farm stores and both can be ordered over the web. I think your local farm store will be the cheapest. Fount and heater base ran me about $65... but I overpaid for the fount.

This link below shows and describes the products, but experience has tought me that this source is VERY expensive!!!

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/large_galvanized_waterers.html

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/no_freeze_heater_base.html

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2