Topic Options
#65157 - 05/07/09 10:37 AM Advice on manufactured nest boxes
Heritage Hens Offline
Chicken

Loc: Vermont
Has anyone had any experience with the hanging next boxes for sale in the catalogues? I am considering buying a unit that hangs on the wall, all plastic and metal.
I usually make my own but have one stall that this work be ideal for.
However, the entries are facing out into the room, and all the ones I have made I set up facing the wall, with perches against the wall and the units 4 or 5 inches set back.
If any of you have tried them, I can always figure a way to mount the unit with back to the room.
Thanks,
Pat

#65158 - 05/07/09 10:48 AM Re: Advice on manufactured nest boxes
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
If you're referring to the Kuhl nests, yes, I use them in my pens. They are a bit pricy, but I like them because they are relatively easy to assemble, look good, and are easy to clean. They are designed to hang against the wall. The hanging brackets are included, but you will have to supply the screws or hooks to attach them to the wall.

Before you order, check with www.cutlersupply.com to see if they have better prices. There's not much difference in prices between the 2-hole, 4-hole, and 6-hole nests. I really don't care for the 6-hole nest because the landing boards aren't the full length of the nest. However, you could replace them with some 1"x4" boards cut to length.

#65159 - 05/12/09 09:47 AM Re: Advice on manufactured nest boxes
Heritage Hens Offline
Chicken

Rhea, thanks for the advice. while they are indeed a little pricey, I priced materials to try and re-create it myself and it ends up not much difference. That is, plastic and metal. I would like to get away from wood next boxes, which is why I like the domed kitty litter units.
But I want to be able to hang a unit on the wall. my question to you is this, are your entrances facing out into the coop,or to the wall. My orpingtons do not like being exposed. I suppose I could hang some plastic strips over the doorways.
What size hens do you have? The width and length of the boxes seem a little small for Orps.
Pat

#65160 - 05/12/09 11:42 AM Re: Advice on manufactured nest boxes
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Pat:

The entrances to the nests are facing out into the coop. The nests may be too small for large Orpingtons. I have buff Leghorns, so the nests are just the right size for them.

Kuhl makes a Big Bird Nest that may work better in your situation. They measure 24 inches tall, 14 inches deep with a 10 inch front opening. Cutler's Supply also carries them.

#65161 - 05/15/09 08:38 AM Re: Advice on manufactured nest boxes
Heritage Hens Offline
Chicken

Thanks, Rhea. I think I saw those in another catalogue so I know what you mean. I agree that I need the larger nests because all I have are Orpingtons.
I sent for a catalogue from Cutlers, but I may not wait for it and will probably order from them online. they have the best prices so far.

#65162 - 05/15/09 11:22 AM Re: Advice on manufactured nest boxes
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

www.firststatevetsupply.com was carrying a line of large nests. I looked on their Website but didn't see them listed. You may want to call Peter Brown and ask if they're still available. I think his line was a little wider than the Big Bird Nests. I think he offered a single nest for $49.95 and a double nest for $69.95.

#108323 - 02/04/13 08:53 AM Re: Advice on manufactured nest boxes [Re: Rhea Dean Carter]
John Online   content
Chicken

Loc: Michigan
I make and sell Fowl Stuff nest boxes. My Ameraucanas love them. Sorry, I didn't clean them up for the photos but they are 100% plastic and easy to clean. The Covers snap onto the pails and the Perches snap onto the Covers. I use wood shavings to line them.

Edited by John (02/04/13 08:57 AM)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2