Topic Options
#65405 - 10/24/02 10:27 AM Ventilation/Windows
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Just a comment pertaining to chicken coops. If you will look at housing built by such experts as James Dryden (Oregon State College Bulletin 181) or many of the houses by the major agriculture colleges up to the 1960's or 1970's...they will have natural lighting and natural ventilation in the structures designed for gravity convection ventilation. The windows could be opened by varying degrees to regulate ventilation from day to day or with weather conditions. Buildings only became black-out (solid sided) after the advent of power ventilation and time clock managed lighting. I think one should keep these factors in mind when building coops and maybe reference some of the old Poultry Tribune or extension publications or the old Boy Scouts of America poultry merit badge booklets which had many excellent plans.

#65406 - 10/24/02 10:56 AM Re: Ventilation/Windows
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you know if there's a place online where we could check this out?

#65407 - 10/24/02 01:41 PM Re: Ventilation/Windows
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
The only plans I have seen on line are for the little 8 x 10 or 8 x 12 shed roofed buildings which many of the Land Grant Universities have on line. The old Research Station Bulletins at Land Grant universities have the good plans as do the files from Midwest Plan Service which most Extension Agri-Engineers have. Local Boy Scout suppliers may still have the Chicken Merit Badge booklets. It could be that UC Davis still has many of their old plans which were excellent. Anyone who can lay hands on the old Dryden Bulletins from Dryden Farms, Modesto, California can also get excellent open sheds for layers. I also have seen several books published by the old Poultry Tribune which had good plans for all over the country from hot climates to the coldest climates. A check of the 636 sections in many Universities (often stacks or storage) have many old poultry books with excellent plans.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2