Topic Options
#65487 - 11/01/02 06:30 AM ice skating rink inside coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

my waterer is making my coop sooo wet inside it is going to make a skating rink inside the coop. i have 38 chickens and two pekins. i have the 5 gal waterer on top of three bricks to elevate it but it gets so wet inside. when it was warmer i could shovel it out but now it is freezing to the floor. what can i do??

#65488 - 11/01/02 06:36 AM Re: ice skating rink inside coop
D. Caveny Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Arizona
Move the ducks and their water to a separate building or location. Ducks play in their water constantly and are the reason you have the mess which is definately NOT HEALTHY for the chickens. Don't take the water away from the ducks because they need to have it all the time (at least every hour or so) in contrast to chickens which you can water 2 or 3 times daily.

#65489 - 11/01/02 07:21 AM Re: ice skating rink inside coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh boy i didn't think it would be such a problem the people we bought this house from had one duck inside the coop but i dont remember it being such a mess like this. what makes it not healthy? can bacteria grow when we have freezing temps every night? confused can we hang it or put a wire base under it somehow confused . moving them is easier said than done. i have no other place for them frown i wish i would have know this before it got so cold. poor little guys

#65490 - 11/01/02 12:05 PM Re: ice skating rink inside coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

i also have a feeder looking thing that is nice and long and wide enough that i use for water in the run maybe i will get a heater for it they love to take a swim in it even at this temp. i have been turning it over to empty the ice out and fill it back up with 3 or 4 five gallon buckets of water. and when i change the waterer that is inside the coop i sometimes put it outside in the run to try to keep it from getting so wet inside the coop. then i return it to the coop at night. the ducks remind me of my yellow lab (7 months old)named scooby doo who is so messy with his water inside. he drinks and it comes out the sides of his mouth and leaves a 6 foot trail of water around my kitchen, not fun with a 15 month baby who has the tendancy to run instead of walking, sure does wipe her out if i dont wipe up the mess right away. anyway, does it help to hang it inside the coop?? probably not if they are like our dog. just simply messy animales i guess..oh well this is life...

#65491 - 11/01/02 01:18 PM Re: ice skating rink inside coop
Rob Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Pennsylvania
Waterfowl flip water out intentionaly to clean themselves. They really need to be able to get their face into the waTER. This, so they can keep their nostrils and eyes flushed. They dont really require a total body immersion daily. But it is best to house seperate from poultry.

#65492 - 11/03/02 04:24 AM Re: ice skating rink inside coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got two - 2 gal size water's cause I have 50 chickens and I wanted enough space so as many as wanted to could get a drink at the same time. At first I had them elevated off the floor like you do, then I hung them from the rafters with some chain (the kind like you have on swing sets) and my chicken would still try to set on top and would unbalance it and all the water would be on the floor. eek So I got some heavy duty electrical wire and wraped the handle and made a loop in the middle for the chain to go through. :rolleyes: They can't get it off center now so it doesn't spill out anymore. You might try hanging them and then put a grate (the heavy metal kind like a mat to scrape the mud off your shoes)under the water can so your chickens aren't standing in water when they need a drink. wink

#65493 - 11/04/02 10:19 PM Re: ice skating rink inside coop
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your ducks will be ok outside if you can give them a sheltered place so they can get out of any really nasty weather. They would probably prefer to sleep outside, anyway. Remember, they are covered in down. wink They need to be able to immerse their heads into the water. Like Caveny said, they need to have it all the time. It is not necessary to completely immerse themselves, but I keep bathing water accessible all the time. I have two old bathtubs for the ducks and geese. At least until the weather turns cold and it freezes. I was under the impression that the chickens also needed water all the time. I remember reading somewhere that even 3 hours without water could throw them off their lay. I wonder if that was maybe during hte heat? Anyway, if you could get a small dog kennel, or even get some plywood and make a small leanto by the chicken coop that would work for them. Unless you get some really cold below freezing weather. We had a LONG stretch of 30 to 40 BELOW 0 last year. My ducks made it through that ok, with no additional heat. They were in an enclosed area, but about all that did was keep the frost off. They are in much better housing now.

IF your water is freezing, are you having any problems with your chickens? Do you use any additional heat in your coop? Have you had any trouble with frostbite on toes or combs? Just curious.

Good luck!
Marie

#65494 - 11/05/02 05:07 PM Re: ice skating rink inside coop
Tiny Offline
Bantam

Loc: Wisconsin
We have ducks and Chickens in the same pens. We but a large tub under the waters so if the duck play the add water goes in to the tub. And can play in the water helps keep the floor dry.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2